Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

looking at a 2002 z28

Old 03-27-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Default looking at a 2002 z28

i looked at an 02 z today at a dealer, had my buddy run the serial # for me, is a 1 owner, virgin car, loaded-got a couple questions
it has 86K miles on it-on startup, valves are pretty noisey, but get better-i know that is a common complaint, and they have a newer rocker arm out there, i think i even have some-does that seem normal
the steering feels pretty hard, is that normal-i thought with power steering it would be easier, maybe power assist?
the engine seems a little hesitant off idle, maybe a little retune
it has a rear end noise, and a couple other sounds like a tire or brake rotor noise-it has 2.73's, i would prob change to low 3's
the body is perfect, so is the interior, has t tops-is there supposed to be a bag for the tops to store in, i suspect they fit in the back somewhere
im fam.with the LS engines, built one in my Chevelle with a a Procharger over 600 RWHP, so not really worried if i have to go into it
does the engine come out the bottom, not a lot of room under there, lol
they were asking 13K, and know it has some problems, were willing to go way down, thinking maybe offer 8.5K as is-i get the feeling they want it gone
everything else seems fine-i dont plan on modifing anything, just keep it stock, fix what it needs-i do all my own work, so only costs would be parts
i didnt drive it far, but might go back and test drive it further, esp since he said he wants to deal, lol
Old 03-27-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My steering in my car is heavy and weighted towards the center. I always thought is was bc of the 17 inch stockers. For fun you can enter the VIN from it here to see options break downs

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering is very stiff on these fourth gen Camaros compared to the other cars I've driven, so I doubt there is an issue there.

The T-Tops store in the trunk and lock into place.

With reference to the plethora of mini-problems that the car has, I wouldn't go near it for the asking price. But for your situation coupled with your experience with LS motors, your offer of 8.5K seems to be a good asking price - albeit the fact that they will probably decline.

Good luck!

Search this Thread