Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1999 Camaro SS LS1 Maintenence Questions

Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 Camaro SS LS1 Maintenence Questions

Hey guys I just picked up a 99 SS and Im needing to know the capacities on all the oils. I dont have the book for the car. Please dont chime in and say use a search cause I did and couldnt find anything. Maybe it was my computer but it just wouldnt allow me to search.

How many quarts does the engine hold with the filter and what filter does it take? Im totally new to the LS1, I dont know if its the same as a traditional 5.7.

What weight of oil for the tranny its a 6 speed and how many quarts?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't know about the tranny fluid but your LS1 takes 5.5 quarts of oil.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

What filter?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Mobil 1 M1-107, M1-206 for the filter.. I highly recommend using Mobil 1 Full synthetic to, otherwise Royal Purple, as that's what I'm gonna be using when i do my oil change here in a couple weeks! 5.5qts.

Vince
Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

First result yielded from Google search for "1999 Chevrolet Camaro manual" :

http://f-bodyhideout.com/techman/1999camaro.pdf

Oil: As others have said, 5.5 quarts of oil. Synthetic or conventional is your own choice.

Oil Filter: If you're changing the oil yourself, I would imagine you're picking up the supplies at Walmart, as it would be cost effective to do so. When you walk into the aisle containing said oil filters, there will be a book to peruse through; within, you can look up your vehicle model, and find the corresponding filter.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.5 quarts is in the book, but just put 6 in. It'll hold, like, 7+ before windage starts to become an issue. Castrol makes a blend that people go nuts for on here (it's WAY over hyped). Do a search for "German Castrol" to learn more. Pensoil Platinum 0w40 is also a very popular choice on here that can be found anywhere. Royal Purple is the least recommended brand on here. For conventional oil, anything works (Pensoil in the yellow bottle is popular) -- just change it every 3000 miles like normal. More like 5-6,000 miles for the synthetic or you're throwing away good oil.

Do a search on "which oil is best" or whatever before you ask any more questions on the topic. Yes, it will work and yes you will find a **** ton of threads. It's the #1 most commonly asked question on here bar none.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lt105
Mobil 1 M1-107, M1-206 for the filter.. I highly recommend using Mobil 1 Full synthetic to, otherwise Royal Purple, as that's what I'm gonna be using when i do my oil change here in a couple weeks! 5.5qts.

Vince
I'm no expert but I've been most recently researching about oil quite a bit lately and from what I've been learning. Mobil 1 synthetic is a good choice; but not the best as its a class III synthetic oil. But tests have shown this oil lasting up to 18k miles with the first oil filter not needing to be changed for the first 12k miles in a z28 camaro. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html Other tests have shown mobil 1 doing very poorly.

Amsoil is also a great choice. There has been tests that shows Amsoil can last up to 14k miles. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

"Mobil relies on molybdenum, boron, and huge doses of calcium, Amsoil has no moly at all, less than half as much boron, and almost a third less calcium. Phosphorus is similar in both formulas, but Amsoil uses more zinc and almost thirty times more magnesium!"

As far as Royal Purple goes. I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I have read about people switching to royal and there engine begins to knock or tick. I've also read about people testing there royal purple oil after 1k miles and the oil already breaking down. I've also read about royal purple having far less detergents in the oil than is claimed to be there. The only thing I'm bummed about is I can't find what class any of the Royal Purple oils are.

The only thing that gets me, Is there are way to many variables with all these tests that I have been reading about. Rarely when magazines or car companies or oil companies do these test are they consistent with the testing. They use different vehicles or engines with royal purple going into the v8 and mobil 1 going into a v6 both engines with 30k+ miles on them already when starting the test. All cars are driven differently so all will have different levels of wear and tear. Leaving me wondering how accurate some of these tests are.

What ever though. Just go with any oil, but get a quality filter like K&N or Mobil 1.

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/dominat...urBall_900.jpg
Some more data to chew over.

Last edited by Finkledbody; 05-04-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
I'm no expert but I've been most recently researching about oil quite a bit lately and from what I've been learning. Mobil 1 synthetic is a good choice; but not the best as its a class III synthetic oil. But tests have shown this oil lasting up to 18k miles with the first oil filter not needing to be changed for the first 12k miles in a z28 camaro. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html Other tests have shown mobil 1 doing very poorly.

Amsoil is also a great choice. There has been tests that shows Amsoil can last up to 14k miles. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

"Mobil relies on molybdenum, boron, and huge doses of calcium, Amsoil has no moly at all, less than half as much boron, and almost a third less calcium. Phosphorus is similar in both formulas, but Amsoil uses more zinc and almost thirty times more magnesium!"

As far as Royal Purple goes. I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I have read about people switching to royal and there engine begins to knock or tick. I've also read about people testing there royal purple oil after 1k miles and the oil already breaking down. I've also read about royal purple having far less detergents in the oil than is claimed to be there. The only thing I'm bummed about is I can't find what class any of the Royal Purple oils are.

The only thing that gets me, Is there are way to many variables with all these tests that I have been reading about. Rarely when magazines or car companies or oil companies do these test are they consistent with the testing. They use different vehicles or engines with royal purple going into the v8 and mobil 1 going into a v6 both engines with 30k+ miles on them already when starting the test. All cars are driven differently so all will have different levels of wear and tear. Leaving me wondering how accurate some of these tests are.

What ever though. Just go with any oil, but get a quality filter like K&N or Mobil 1.

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/dominat...urBall_900.jpg
Some more data to chew over.
Good to know.. thanx for the writeup/warning bro! I thought it was good oil, but I guess not I'll be stickin to Mobil then!

Vince
Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

if your gonna keep your car , i highly reccommend AMSOIL 0W30 GOLD SIGNITURE SERIES, its like eating, you are what you eat, eat the best, forget the rest, go with the granddaddy of oil
Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I have a 94 Z28, but the LS1 is a whole new ballgame for me. I got the oil changed though. I made the mistake of putting some lucas oil in with my tranny when I changed it though I have the 6 speed and now its shifting funky into 4th. Gonna get that junk back out and just stick with the DexIII
Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a word of caution. Yo uare going to get a 100 different answers for this topic.

As far as the brand of oil and whether you wanna put synthetic or conventional is really up to you. I've been told by several top notch vendors that conventional is just fine as long as you change it regularly. The brand you buy is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Try a few out and see if you see a difference or which suits you best. I usse castrol conventional 10w-40 and car runs better than when I had 5w-30 in it.
As far as oil filters I use K&N filters but as long as it fits your car it will do fine unless you ride around where there is alot of dust and what not. Wix filters are also very good. 6 speeds usually hold 5.5 quarts of motor oil.

Stick with the Dexron for tranny fluid this is what GM recommends so I would not put anything else in the car Im not sure how much though been awhile since i've done this.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

pf46 is the ac delco number for the filter, and oil is a complicated topic, a lot of oils are good, and most adequate if changed often enough.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Wix, or NAPA gold are both very good oil filters for the price.
Just don't use a cheap fram or walmart brand unless you change very often, and then they don't seem to filter as well as the Wix, K&N, NAPA GLD, or M1, in tests. bobstheoilguy has lots of good info on that site. Just keep the oil clean and change often before it gets dirty, and all should be good, no matter what type of oil you use.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 06-01-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Camaro SS LS1 Maintenence Questions