Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

What was it that decided if the roof of a fbody camaro was black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What was it that decided if the roof of a fbody camaro was black?

I've seen quite a few Camaros and Trans Ams hardtop and t-top that have roofs(not the t-top/hardtop area, but the actual roof behind them) painted to match the body, and others that are black.

Personally I prefer it being black especially on red camaros with black tints because the whole thing just looks smooth.

I know you could easily paint that piece, but was there some choice that made it have it one way or the other from the factory?

Was it v6 had body colored roof, and v8 had blacked out roof? (I'm only taking a guess here, because I swear I've seen ones with v8s and body colored roofs)
Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, V6's were body-colored. With the V8's in '98 there was an option of having the roof painted to match. In '99 that option was not available. I asked when I ordered my '99 was told you could request the roof be painted but they would not do it. It would hold up the production of your car. This is what I was told, whether it's true or not??? I waited 10 weeks and didn't want to "test" the system. I was just going to paint mine to match, but the black has grown on me in 11 years.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks for the info.

It's always irked me, and while I've been looking for a LS1 car for a friend, I found a clean Red 98 Z for sale really cheap. Hour and a half away, 6 speed and everything. It's red, with black roof and unfortunately(for me at least) it's a hard top. It's in great condition so I should be coming home with it today as long as there's nothing wrong with it mechanically.

Alright, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: What was it that decided if the roof of a fbody camaro was black?