Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

how many hugger orange camaros ?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered how many HOSS cars had white interiors like mine?

Not very many that I have seen.
GM always said they did not break down interior colors.

Jim
Old 12-20-2020, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Default Beating a dead HOSS....

Originally Posted by SSizler
I've always wondered how many HOSS cars had white interiors like mine?

Not very many that I have seen.
GM always said they did not break down interior colors.

Jim

I have a 1LE MN6 MM6 HOSS with white leather, here in Canada.

*SORRY FOR REVIVING A DEAD POST, but in a search of google to show a friend what a meant about rare, I ran across this (maybe again from years back can’t remember)*

but I am pretty sure my 1LE HOSS is fairly rare. Years back I kept telling the story about two build dates (car, and SLP STICKER) I know I looked like an idiot, but I never got called on it to explain what I meant.
-car was built JAN/99
-delivered FEB/99
-in between it was sent to SLP to be converted to SS
-mixup with uninformed salesperson, subsequent fight with GM (they wanted to replace car, I didn’t want 2of the same car out there), it was decided to be sent back to SLP for all the. SLP OPTIONS (minus the Bilstein as 1LE lol)
so the drivers door stickers say Jan/feb 99, and the pass door SLP sticker says may/99 with all the options
while I was at SLP, they gave me the complete file on my car

This summer

Pass door B/W (tried to make it easier to see)

Pass door original

Driver

Old 12-20-2020, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a book that just came out you might be interested in. It shows your car as being one of 13 1LE Hugger Orange Coupes in 1999. Not only that, but it was the only 1LE with a leather interior built in 1999 and one of four 1LE Hugger Orange Coupe's with the RPO "BBS" (Hurst Shifter). There were a total of 69 Hugger Orange SS Camaro Coupes built with white leather interiors, 17 automatics and 52 manual transmissions.
Here's a link to Amazon Here's a link to Amazon
where you can find the book if you're interested.

Last edited by peterpar; 12-20-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by peterpar
There's a book that just came out you might be interested in. It shows your car as being one of 13 1LE Hugger Orange Coupes in 1999. Not only that, but it was the only 1LE with a leather interior built in 1999 and one of four 1LE Hugger Orange Coupe's with the RPO "BBS" (Hurst Shifter). There were a total of 69 Hugger Orange SS Camaro Coupes built with white leather interiors, 17 automatics and 52 manual transmissions.
Here's a link to Amazon where you can find the book if you're interested.
wow, thank you very much for the reply!!
years back not long after I got it, I was all Gung-Ho to read up, I found a guy that was making a hugger orange registry, so I have a copy of that but i haven’t checked on it in a long time.
also, when I got my car, the sales lady new I was buying it to put away and bring out “as factory” in 20 or so years, so she let me k is about all the changes. It took 5 months for it to be made and delivered, in that time the hurst shifter was added as an option and green was discontinued she actually gave me a copy (or an original I can’t remember) of the notice from gm so I added the shifter on as the car still had a ways to go before being built.
I also have her dealer book for the camaro (she was nice that way) also have the complete SLP file for my car and a synod from them plus other stuff

but the rarity of the interior is a bit shocking, to say the least!! Lol
Old 12-20-2020, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ONE EYE
the rarity of the interior is a bit shocking, to say the least!! Lol
I'd never paid too much attention before to what type of interiors the 1LE cars came equipped with, but the 1998 model year only had what looks like 2 cars built with leather interiors. Not sure why that would have been.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Years back I kept telling the story about two build dates (car, and SLP STICKER) I know I looked like an idiot, but I never got called on it to explain what I meant.
-car was built JAN/99
-delivered FEB/99
-in between it was sent to SLP to be converted to SS
-mixup with uninformed salesperson, subsequent fight with GM (they wanted to replace car, I didn’t want 2of the same car out there), it was decided to be sent back to SLP for all the. SLP OPTIONS (minus the Bilstein as 1LE lol)
so the drivers door stickers say Jan/feb 99, and the pass door SLP sticker says may/99 with all the options
while I was at SLP, they gave me the complete file on my car
Very interesting story, thank you for sharing this. I haven't heard of any other examples being sent back to SLP for added "original" content after initial delivery (though I have heard of some dealers adding SLP equipment as aftermarket content prior to delivery, but that's obviously a different situation than yours), so your situation is fairly unique. There may be others, but I have not encountered any to date.

How was shipping/delivery handled for the return trip to SLP? Did the dealer arrange everything or did GM get directly involved in transport/arrangements? I'm just curious as this is so unique and I love these sorts of little known bits of 4th gen F-body history.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Very interesting story, thank you for sharing this. I haven't heard of any other examples being sent back to SLP for added "original" content after initial delivery (though I have heard of some dealers adding SLP equipment as aftermarket content prior to delivery, but that's obviously a different situation than yours), so your situation is fairly unique. There may be others, but I have not encountered any to date.

How was shipping/delivery handled for the return trip to SLP? Did the dealer arrange everything or did GM get directly involved in transport/arrangements? I'm just curious as this is so unique and I love these sorts of little known bits of 4th gen F-body history.
you said you liked the stories...don’t get mad lol

at the time my father handled the situation with gm, cause I was in a bad car accident (hence ONE EYE) and I had ordered the car in OCT/98
Pop said “why not buy a new vehicle”, I really didn’t want any. At the time I didn’t really like the “peanut” lights. I checked out Volvo C70, till I put it down on the test drive and got torque steer. Tried an excursion, apparently they got as much stares as my face and I burnt my *** with the heated seat trying to adjust it lol.
tried a 98 SCT convertible, they made them so stuff you could see the windshield twist over bumps and the seats were way to soft to make it “comfortable to drive”
then went to Pontiac, asked about their trans-am 30th. Didn’t have any trans and there, no flyers, no I go at all not even what colours it might come in.

so I decided it was going to be an optioned out crew cab duallly cause I want going to get a chance like this again.
went to gm dealer, walked in dressed in my shorts sandals shirt with a rip in it, ponytail and hat. All the ssalesmeb avoided me, except this one lady. Said I wanted to take the impala so she grabbed the keys and went right out. Half hour of her time, slipping around the streets like an eel lol
talked about the truck I was going to get with her, then my father suggested why not a camaro. So I got some info, and went home and figured out that an SS camaro and the impala SS both together would be $1000. More than the duality optioned out the way I wanted.

two weeks of comparing options I finally put the order in for the camaro.
while I was telling her what options I wanted I asked about SLP, she said they went out of business. So I ordered, then somewhere in gen I found out SLP makes SS/firehouse. So not being good at arguing at the time (when I did get mad, ended up with charges..) so my father dealt with GM.
it was GM direct that made the arrangements. It was apparently a big deal cause they fought so hard to make a new one, but like I said, then there would be one more like it out there

me and a friend drove the car back to st.therese Quebec. To SLP, they have a speed shop called ZRKES. So I had to stay the night cause they had to grind and epoxy the rear axle for the SLP optioned rear end cover.
Gad some video lent the camera to document stuff for a friend that got brain injured and have not been able to get the tape back.

but not only is it important to the car, but it also has proof that when the SLP panels are put on, they used touch up paint on little scratch’s
i checked my car after seeing this, and
I found touch up paint on the top of my hood by the hinges
Also, SLP dunked my car for free (let me run the car on synod), the complete file has a SLP window sticker dated for the day I was there just like the door stickers and they let me keep the whole exhaust off my car,
They didn’t have any SS floor mats at the time
they shipped the exhaust, the floor mats, and an edelbrock intake to me at no cost...

sorry for log boring story, but I haven’t been able to tell it before. I have missed some stuff but that’s pretty much it
the car was never really supposed to have any miles on it, it really doesn’t, only place it has ever really been was the couple hundred kilometres to SLP, the rest are tire spinning, donuts, and a LOT of corner drifting, maybe a 180 or 3. P.s.the ABS still kicks on when someone pulls I. Front on the gighway while to have the speedo pinned in sixth...
The car also has never been driven in the rain, driven on gravel or dirt roads, nor smoked in, and no *** tapping rather lol

also, in order to get the SLP options your supposed to have Y2Y iirc, but you can see my car doesn’t.
Here’s a pic of the floor mats, and a crappy pic of the exhaust sitting on the roof on my vega

Old 12-21-2020, 12:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

you said you liked the stories...don’t get mad lol

at the time my father handled the situation with gm, cause I was in a bad car accident (hence ONE EYE) and I had ordered the car in OCT/98
Pop said “why not buy a new vehicle”, I really didn’t want any. At the time I didn’t really like the “peanut” lights. I checked out Volvo C70, till I put it down on the test drive and got torque steer. Tried an excursion, apparently they got as much stares as my face and I burnt my *** with the heated seat trying to adjust it lol.
tried a 98 SCT convertible, they made them so stuff you could see the windshield twist over bumps and the seats were way to soft to make it “comfortable to drive”
then went to Pontiac, asked about their trans-am 30th. Didn’t have any trans and there, no flyers, no I go at all not even what colours it might come in.

so I decided it was going to be an optioned out crew cab duallly cause I want going to get a chance like this again.
went to gm dealer, walked in dressed in my shorts sandals shirt with a rip in it, ponytail and hat. All the ssalesmeb avoided me, except this one lady. Said I wanted to take the impala so she grabbed the keys and went right out. Half hour of her time, slipping around the streets like an eel lol
talked about the truck I was going to get with her, then my father suggested why not a camaro. So I got some info, and went home and figured out that an SS camaro and the impala SS both together would be $1000. More than the duality optioned out the way I wanted.

two weeks of comparing options I finally put the order in for the camaro.
while I was telling her what options I wanted I asked about SLP, she said they went out of business. So I ordered, then somewhere in gen I found out SLP makes SS/firehouse. So not being good at arguing at the time (when I did get mad, ended up with charges..) so my father dealt with GM.
it was GM direct that made the arrangements. It was apparently a big deal cause they fought so hard to make a new one, but like I said, then there would be one more like it out there

me and a friend drove the car back to st.therese Quebec. To SLP, they have a speed shop called ZRKES. So I had to stay the night cause they had to grind and epoxy the rear axle for the SLP optioned rear end cover.
Gad some video lent the camera to document stuff for a friend that got brain injured and have not been able to get the tape back.

but not only is it important to the car, but it also has proof that when the SLP panels are put on, they used touch up paint on little scratch’s
i checked my car after seeing this, and
I found touch up paint on the top of my hood by the hinges
Also, SLP dunked my car for free (let me run the car on synod), the complete file has a SLP window sticker dated for the day I was there just like the door stickers and they let me keep the whole exhaust off my car,
They didn’t have any SS floor mats at the time
they shipped the exhaust, the floor mats, and an edelbrock intake to me at no cost...

sorry for log boring story, but I haven’t been able to tell it before. I have missed some stuff but that’s pretty much it
the car was never really supposed to have any miles on it, it really doesn’t, only place it has ever really been was the couple hundred kilometres to SLP, the rest are tire spinning, donuts, and a LOT of corner drifting, maybe a 180 or 3. P.s.the ABS still kicks on when someone pulls I. Front on the gighway while to have the speedo pinned in sixth...
The car also has never been driven in the rain, driven on gravel or dirt roads, nor smoked in, and no *** tapping rather lol

also, in order to get the SLP options your supposed to have Y2Y iirc, but you can see my car doesn’t.
Here’s a pic of the floor mats, and a crappy pic of the exhaust sitting on the roof on my vega
That's a great story, thank you for sharing all the details. These little bits of production history are anomalies that often get lost over time. It's terrific to hear this directly from the source rather than 2-3 times removed.

It makes sense that you wouldn't have the "Y2Y" RPO on the SPID if the car wasn't originally earmarked (accidentally, as it were) for additional SLP content. Again, not sure how many other times this scenario may have happened, but I'm sure your story is one of a very, very small group if not the only example for this generation and platform. Very interesting that you drove the car back to SLP yourself and were present during the conversion. Cool stuff for sure.

It's great that you have extensive documentation to prove what happened here. This sort of unique and specific situation in relation to a car that's already rare and quite desirable is the type of thing that's really interesting to serious collectors.

Great story, great car and, again, thank you for sharing.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by peterpar
It shows your car as being one of 13 1LE Hugger Orange Coupes in 1999. Not only that, but it was the only 1LE with a leather interior built in 1999 and one of four 1LE Hugger Orange Coupe's with the RPO "BBS" (Hurst Shifter). There were a total of 69 Hugger Orange SS Camaro Coupes built with white leather interiors, 17 automatics and 52 manual transmissions.
Here's a link to Amazon where you can find the book if you're interested.
My production breakdown based on CompNine's database shows that there was only one white leather 1LE built in '99, and his RPO decal proves that it was one of the 13 HOSS 1LEs and that his is THAT CAR. On top of that, it is one of TWO 1LEs built that year w/ the Z49 Canadian export RPO.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 12-24-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
My production breakdown based on CompNine's database shows that there was only one white leather 1LE built in '99, and his RPO decal proves that it was one of the 13 HOSS 1LEs and that his is THAT CAR. On top of that, it is one of TWO 1LEs built that year w/ the Z49 Canadian export RPO.
It's my understanding that this book's data was also from the CompNine database. I actually checked the totals from the book for the Hugger Orange Coupes and white interiors and found your spreadsheet matched before I posted. I didn't breakdown the Service Parts Identification label any farther to notice the Z49 RPO.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Such an awesome 4th gen Fbod... I owned a 99 HOSS years ago... If only i had kept it!!! Saw one on Ebay the other day for $27K... I so wanted to buy that car ( and could have) but opted for a nicely optioned 02 35th LE SS for half the price, 14K miles,,, It too should only appreciate over the years.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Default 1999 higher z28

Spoiler!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how many hugger orange camaros ?