Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LS1 Camaro plug & wire change

Old 07-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down LS1 Camaro plug & wire change

Following the good tech note on installuniversity.com, I finally managed to rotate the coil pack on the passenger side. Next hurdle is the stock plug wires, another tough job because of bad leverage and access, and the near certainty you will bash your hand when the wire lets go of the plug. Typically, the wire on Nunber 8 is the toughest. Leverage is slim and I'm afraid the wire will separate from the boot.

I'm looking for suggestions to pull the plug wire from Number 8 plug. Twisting and pulling with a wrench is so limited by its location. And what do I do if the wire pulls out of the plug end?

Steve
00Z28
Colorado
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pewter99Z28
Following the good tech note on installuniversity.com, I finally managed to rotate the coil pack on the passenger side. Next hurdle is the stock plug wires, another tough job because of bad leverage and access, and the near certainty you will bash your hand when the wire lets go of the plug. Typically, the wire on Nunber 8 is the toughest. Leverage is slim and I'm afraid the wire will separate from the boot.

I'm looking for suggestions to pull the plug wire from Number 8 plug. Twisting and pulling with a wrench is so limited by its location. And what do I do if the wire pulls out of the plug end?

Steve
00Z28
Colorado

I know that number 8 can be a bear especially if you have the airtubes like I do.

I find it easier to just pull the coil packs off alltogether on that side, this way you can get to the plug wire boot and coil boot.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Remove coil pack and disconnect AIR line.

1. To get the boot off just wiggle it as much as you can and it will eventually come off. Worst case scenario is the metal electrode inside the plug wire will separate and stay on the plug. This doesn't matter as your wrench or socket will still fit onto the nut pattern on the plug.

2. You can't bitch about changing plugs in an f-body until you do it on a stock TPI with the AIR lines or an LT1 with manifolds.

Of all the 82-02s V8 cars, the LS1 is the easiest.

A little trick to help you remove that last bolt on the coil pack. Tie a piece of string to a boxed/open end wrench and the other end to your wrist and then go loosen that bolt. This way when you drop the wrench it doesn't end up on top of your transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro plug & wire change