Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Turn Sig fix w/pics - not working & need input

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Sig fix w/pics - not working & need input

Hello all! Got a question... here are some close-ups of my turn signal cam and assembly. I'm having a problem... I did a key lock and tumbler swap last October. No problems except the blinkers haven't been working. I believe they quit completely around January this year. They seemed loose but no more than I drive the car (58000 org. mls) which isn't much, I just haven't been able to get around to finding the problem.

Welp, I tore back into the column and noticed something strange. The original Turn Assembly brace fastener (as pointed in picture below) had a head larger than the trench entry location where the fastener should have fit flush. This was allowing the brace to pivot out of position on the Turn Signal Lever. Well I swapped screws to a smaller head w/the same thread and it fit nice and secure. No pivot horizontally anyways - thus staying in place. Easy enough fix right? Well I thought that would take care of it so just to check I moved the Turn Signal Lever up and down in in all positions and yes there was a little resistance but not much... not near what there was. It was tight and secure; not coming out of position or loose like before.

HERE'S where the story gets strange... but short. I hooked up the battery to check and still no blinkers. The hazards worked but not the blinkers at all. I double and trippled checked the connections, hooked a multimeter up to the cam connection points and I didn't get a response, like there's a metal piece missing or something.

Perhaps I need to hook the entire thing back up, put my steering wheel back on before it will work but I wouldn't believe so. If the hazards worked then the blinkers should work all the same in that case. I turned the key to the on position just to be sure and still nothing. I dunno but maybe one of you can see some integral piece missing and be like, "EY, you're missing this...!" And that would solve it. But as you know it's not fixing the problem that takes the longest it's finding it!

I appreciate the help,

Shannon.
Attached Thumbnails Turn Sig fix w/pics - not working & need input-camaro1.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hazards and turn signals have a separate flasher . . . thus why one works and not the other.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC the hazard flasher is located in the fuse panel. The turn signal flasher is located to the right of the steering column.

About a 1" diameter little drum shaped doo hicky . . . it may be yellow . . . or just a tin looking thing.

You typically would need to remove both panels under the steering column to find the turn signal flasher.

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 08-19-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Turn Sig fix w/pics - not working & need input