Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

lq9/ls2 nitrous build in 2001 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lq9/ls2 nitrous build in 2001 camaro

ok guys wanting some serious advice im stuck on what of the two i should build.Im wanting to do either a lq9 or ls2 both stock crank but forged pistons/rods all the other goodies,but need some advice on best heads(thinking ls3 heads?)This will be a nitrous car goal is 250-300 shot ive been doing alot of research and its looking like i can reach my power goals with these with stock sleeves.This will be a budget build so trying to get a best bang for my buck that will be some what reliable,power goal is around 700-750 through a 6 speed
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I would build an LQ9 if your doing a budget build and they ar good for 1000hp... they are cheaper and i have a block for sale and im local to you if your interested. LS3 heads are good. i ran a ported 243 on my and you can see my power in my sig
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by higgsfbody
ok guys wanting some serious advice im stuck on what of the two i should build.Im wanting to do either a lq9 or ls2 both stock crank but forged pistons/rods all the other goodies,but need some advice on best heads(thinking ls3 heads?)This will be a nitrous car goal is 250-300 shot ive been doing alot of research and its looking like i can reach my power goals with these with stock sleeves.This will be a budget build so trying to get a best bang for my buck that will be some what reliable,power goal is around 700-750 through a 6 speed
98silvermaros block is sitting in my garage... LS3 will make more power stock head to stock head. from what i have read and been told cathedral heads have a little more deck surface and are less prone to lifting the heads... however since nitrous is being used, with forged internals you can run a little more spray. ls2 heads will have better port velocity than the ls3. i assume you will be running a 4inch bore. if its a nitrous car id run 243s for the better clamping less chance of blown head gaskets, and a ton more parts floating around. with nitrous i would personally run a weiland or bbk intake as they are aluminum and wont blow into a million pieces if nitrous does backfire. ls3 its a ported stocker or FAST... unless you do a carb style intake and elbow. i have 243s up for sale and 98silvermaro has some 823s. its getting harder to find the stainless steel ls3 valves, and all 243s come with stainless. just my opinion. and just so you know, ls2s are gen 4 motors, so you would have to buy a conversion harness due to the crank sensor knock sensors etc. lq9 is a gen 3 motor and its cheaper to come by. lq9s do not have sleeves as the entire block is iron, so there is less flex in the cylinder walls associated with aluminium block. so if budget building is the way you are going, i think lq9 with 243s. with bolt ons looking a little over 400 at the tires.

Last edited by 4doortypels; 11-30-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: lq9/ls2 nitrous build in 2001 camaro