Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2001 Camaro V6 - Voltage Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Camaro V6 - Voltage Issue

Greetings all,

My recently purchased 2001 Camaro V6 has recently been showing the tell-tale signs of a failing/dying alternator. One day in town, the "Check Gauges" dash light came on, along with the A/C being warm, and turn signals clicking slowly. I limped it home just barely before the voltage dropped to around 8 and thus the battery dying completely. After inspecting the alternator, I noticed the little red wire was frayed badly; wrongly assuming that may have been the issue, I bought a new alternator plug wire and soldered them back together. I then had the battery recharged, hoping all would be fixed, but I was wrong. The voltage now sat at 11 even with a fully charged battery, and quickly dropped back down to 9.5/10 even on highway speeds. Afterwards, I decided to eliminate the alternator entirely. I bought a re manufactured alternator, recharged/cleaned any acid buildup from the battery, and hooked it all up, sure that I had fixed it. Wrong again. Even with the new alternator/plug, and a charged battery, the volt meter read 11, before dropping back down to 10.5 in just 10 minutes of driving again at highway speeds. Could it possibly be the battery's ground wire, or perhaps the battery itself? (It's a 4 month old Duralast) I've also heard quite a few people mention upgrading the big 3, would that potentially solve the issue?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!