Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LS Swap and Drag build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Swap and Drag build

Howdy,

We (girlfriend and I) have a 93 Camaro Z28 auto. I have used this forum in the past to make repairs to keep the car going as a daily driver.

Now that I am out of school and have a little time and money, we want to turn the car into a project drag car. I want to build while she drives. I have done a tone of import cars and also motorcycles, but this is my first domestic car project.

We want to go to an LS motor and possibly forced induction, thus why I am here in LS1tech. I need some advice for parts and setups. We are in the planning and tare down stage now to tub and cage the car.

The goal is to get the guts of the car into the 10's and start building up to the 9 and 8s. I know its going to be expensive, but advice on motors, drive line, suspensions, and chassis would be great.

Working on imports and bikes, the most valuable thing I ever learned, is ask plenty of questions we you don't know.

And if you guys want, we can post and document the build.

Thanks Folks!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

IMO pullin out that POS LT1 is a good start! I never had good luck with the LT. But a LS or a LQ4 or 9 would be a great engine to drop in. It really depends on what type of money you working with. And its gonna be kinda hard to swap motors while its being driven lol. But I know a few guys from round my way that are running hi 8's, 9's and 10's with Ls and LQ motors. Im kinda in the same position you are. Need to figure out how much you are wanting to spend to start and go from there.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 AM

Now that I am out of school, we can park the car and work on it. It is no longer a daily driver.

As for money, I think we have a build plan of about 2 to 3 years, with about 10-20k a year to throw at it on the optimistic side. I would like to get the bones for a good car fast car first.

The plan first is get the old LT1 out, its got nearly 200k on it and it probably needs to be put to pasture. I have not decided on the LS model to put in there. I know we can spend a ton of money to put a newer LS motor, but I am not sure its the way to go. I want to keep fuel injection but thinking about going to a turbo in the way of turbo.

As for dive line, I see all kinds of swaps for rear ends and all kinds of companies that build upgraded transmissions for all kinds of power. But everyone says theirs are the best, I am a little lost. Any suggestion would be helpful.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're thinking FI and wanting to end up in the 9s or 8s. That requires a lot of power...enough that you're probably gonna want the iron block. That comes in a 5.3 and 6.0. You're probably gonna want/need the 6.0. Those can be found at the junk yards, but I've never seen one. I picked up my 5.3 for $400 so if you can find one there it shouldn't be too much $$$. If not, they tend to go for $1-2k on Ebay, but they're very strong and worth every penny if you have the coin. I...didn't. Thus, I opted for the 5.3. Hope that helped.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Thanks a ton. Every little bit helps. I guess one of my weak spots it transmissions, I have no idea what I should be running.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're wanting to go as fast as your set up will possibly allow I'm guessing you'll be wanting an automatic. If so, try and find a 4l60e or 4l80e. You'll likely find those in th same trucks that your motor comes from. If you want to have some fun with manual get a t56 out of an ls1 car and put a good clutch in it. Depending on your power you may blow it up. If that happens...build it up stronger. The automatics I mentioned are pretty damn strong so that may be your best bet. Hope that helps narrow some things down.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 PM

While I am ok at fabricating, I know that I need to start talking to an engine builder. Is there anyone you would suggest, there are a few sponsors on the website. I am in the Florida and don't mind traveling a little to get it built.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have already started putting together a laundry list of parts for this build.

Quick Reply: LS Swap and Drag build