Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Mods Advice (First post too!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods Advice (First post too!)

I don't want to jump the gun as I don't have the 2000 Camaro SS yet. Agreed in principle and it's a matter of paying and picking the car up. Before doing that, I have a question for you out there, curious what people's opinions are:

Looked at this particular 2000 Camaro SS, it looks good, seems to run good and drive well. However, it's been modified with heads and cam and whatnot, but the seller says that the previous owner had these things done 20,000 miles ago and doesn't have the receipts. Says he owned the car since 2006 and the mods were just done then (at about 40,000 miles, there are 60,000 miles now).

The listing says that the car has:

Patriot Stage 2 Heads - can't verify that they are Stage 2 but did see a Patriot stamp on them when the hood was popped.

patriot dual gold valve springs - ?
titanium retainer - ?

texas speed and performance magic stick cam - can tell there is a cam from how it runs/idles, can't verify that it is Magicstick and what specific model without receipts

ls7 lifters - ?

ls2 timing chain - ?

yella terra 1.7 roller rockers - ?

comp hardened pushrods - ?

slp high volume oil pump - ?

slp under drive balancer - ?

slp 1 3/4 long tube headers with off road y pipe - can see with hood popped and from looking underneath even though it wasn't jacked up

qtp eahaust cutout - not worried about it but couldn't see that far under car without it being jacked up

flowmaster cat back - certainly sounded like the good old Flowmaster

tick performance clutch master cylinder,new 02 gm slave,spec stage 3 plus clutch - certainly didn't feel like a stock clutch at all

slp sub frame connectors,spohn rear control arms and panhard rod - couldn't see underneath

c6 corvette wheels, new brakes and drilled and slotted roatars - does have these

So as you can see, I verified some of these things from looking/listening but what about the others? How would you feel about buying something like this with 60,000 miles and no receipts to verify what you exactly have?

Thanks,

John!

Last edited by JRSIV; 05-30-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im always sketchy buying a car that someone else has modded simply for thd reasons youre stating above, no way to verify what exactly has been done without reciepts and even if you know the partss the credibility of where it was done can come into question. If the car runs good and doesnt seem to have any problems id go for it but my first order of buisness would be taking it to a trusted shop and have it checked over with a fine tooth comb and that includes checking the tuning of the car becuase that alone can make or break it
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Im always sketchy buying a car that someone else has modded simply for thd reasons youre stating above, no way to verify what exactly has been done without reciepts and even if you know the partss the credibility of where it was done can come into question.
PLUS modded cars are usually the ones beat on!!

I'd buy it - but I would NOT consider ANY modifications to the car to INCREASE the value. If anything in my eyes they decrease it until you start selling a race car then it may have some value again. Plus drilled and slotted rotors are GARBAGE if they are sub-par quality.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Deff agree with that. No car modded is worth more unless youre buying a true race car and chances are if you have the money to buy one of those them chances are you also have the money to build your own. I made the mistake one time of buying a car someone else modded and will never do it again learned my lesson the hard way on that one. You may get lucky and this car may have been done by the best shop there is and never have a problem with this car then again you could get it and just take a chance and dont have it checked out and a week later it leaves you on the side of the road or if its your track car you make one pass and the motor blows. Mine went after two passes on the car i mentioned. Just a chance you have to deciide if youre willing to takke
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

These were very standard mods done at the time he quotes.

I presume you are getting the car cheap and the mods free. At least that is the way most of us are forced to sell our modded cars if we ever sell them.

Go for it and enjoy.

Welcome to the LSx and 4th gen world.

Perry

Quick Reply: Mods Advice (First post too!)