Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Advise On ls1 build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise On ls1 build?

I recently bought a 2001 camaro coupe with an a4, ls1, power everything, and it completely stock minus a slp lid. I want to turn it into a street/strip car with a budget. I've never messed with an ls1 before so everything I know about them was learned in the last 2 weeks. Here are my plans:
-Fast 102mm intake and Tb
-Texas speed PRC 227 heads
-magic stick 4 cam w/ 111 lsa
-performabuilt 4l60e
-3800 stall
-long tube headers
-30lbs injectors
-magnaflow catback
-high flow MAF
-4.11+ gears
-weight reduction
-suspension

Those are only the parts I'm sure about but please tell me if I'm making a combination error because I would rather everything work together so I can make more power for less money. Also as far as the rear end goes, do I need to go fully built 9" with a 4 link or can I get away with subframe connectors on the stock 10 bolt until it breaks then replace it? And would it be worth converting the power windows to manual to save weight? Please fill in ALL of my gaps. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kamron92
I want to turn it into a street/strip car with a budget
per my calculations, that's one hell of a budget.....you're going to spend north of $7k to put all that together, and that will be purchasing some parts used.

you might want to spend some more time browsing the internal and external gen III sections. read through some threads of what others have done, find a setup that will truly benefit the way you drive, and meet your expectations at the strip.

with the mods you have listed, you've got a good start. that 10 bolt won't last very long with the power level you will attain(also with sticky tires and a good stall), so spending the money on the gears is a waste, in my opinion.

just realize the total $'s spent will add up quick. i generally make a budget and then add 30% for everything that i've forgotten.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM

By budget I mean "bang for the buck" not a numerical figure. I realize I'm talking about a lot of dough and I also realize I'm forgetting A LOT thats why I was asking you more experienced guys to help me fill the voids. I appreciate your help!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Also the guy at Texas speed told me the magic stick 4 would give me the best power for my set up. But I am more concerned with overall performance than numbers. I want a solid tq curve that will dominate at the track not a dyno queen that puts up big numbers. Anyone have any cam grind suggestions for me?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter
make a budget and then add 30%
^ This.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just turbo the engine? slap some 317 heads on it and crank up the boost. you can cut your bill in half and have all the power your bottom end can stand.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kamron92
Also the guy at Texas speed told me the magic stick 4 would give me the best power for my set up. But I am more concerned with overall performance than numbers. I want a solid tq curve that will dominate at the track not a dyno queen that puts up big numbers. Anyone have any cam grind suggestions for me?
The MS4 make big power on top of the power band meaning the car will pull really hard on top which is not necessarily good for a drag car. That cam does not make big power on bottom end which gets you out of the hole. On the other hand Texas-Speed is awesome I'm running there Tsunami cam in my Zo6 and it pulls like a freight train on top but I dont have heads or a fast so that might help and stronger rear gear. Your best bet would be FI if your budget allows for it
Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If I was you.. To cut some corners..
I'd just would do Cam, LTs with cut out, stall and gear with a tune...
Having an 2001 you already have a LS6 intake manifold so why spend a grand more right away. you can always swap that out when u get extra cash...

Quick Reply: Advise On ls1 build?