Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep us updated, like to see where this goes, i'm in a project myself
Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Little bit of an update. Car is running a bit better after swapping out the front o2's. However it is still going through gas like crazy, and now it will occasionally try to die, or actually die when i come to a stop at a light or a stop sign. It will idle real low, around 500 or under and the oil pressure guage will drop along with the battery guage.

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MAF, perhaps?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yea that is what I was thinking also. Just give a quick clean and see if that helps at all. What's it like under wot?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by exodus_gs1
Yea that is what I was thinking also. Just give a quick clean and see if that helps at all. What's it like under wot?
Ill give it a cleaning and see what happens. I was thinking maybe tps too?
Under WOT it seems fine to me, it will go. It seems to just do it at idle, coming to a stop.
It acted like it wanted to die this morning while i was letting it warm up. About 2 minutes into warming up, the rpms dropped to 500 and a little under for about 15 seconds then jumped back up to normal.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

So after some inspection of the car, i have discovered that the vac line off the th400 is loose and hanging down from the trans. Im guessing this could be the culprit? Anyone know where to route the vac line for a th400 on an ls1?
Thanks all!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

I wonder if the drop in idle is a charging issue?? and the reason I asked about wot is I heard of this happening to a guy who had a bag blocking part of his filter. but it also would cut out at wot.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Do work!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

I wonder if the drop in idle is a charging issue?? and the reason I asked about wot is I heard of this happening to a guy who had a bag blocking part of his filter. but it also would cut out at wot.
Im starting to wonder this too. ive replaced the alternator with a truck one, but i have no idea how old the battery is. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to get it tested. The voltage guage when first starting the car will be close to the 3 quarter mark on the gauge. But by the time i get close to home, about 14 miles later, it is sometimes as low as dead even with the 13 line or a little under. Maybe bad ground or (going) bad battery?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

So i started a thread in the Gen III internal Engine Section with the following. Would appreciate any answers/ input. Im going to have to (partially) tear down the engine, so might as well put in what i want anyways lol:

I know i know, i need to read the stickies... lol Well i have and im stilll not sure what i should be getting.

Here is what i have now,
HPE S Cam
Meziere Elec Water Pump
Kooks 1 3/4 headers
TSP True Duals Exhaust
LS6 intake
FTI TH400 Stage 3 Trans with 3600 Stall
3.55 Rear gears

While i love the sound of the S Cam i would really like something a little more DD friendly, maybe its just the tune but the thing is pretty thirsty for gas and is a little rough down low.

What I really want is a heads/cam combo that is more DD friendly, will pari well with my current trans/stall set up and will be good for occasional 1/4 mile passes.

All help is much appreciated!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

well not having OD doesn't help with mpg. and if its all in town driving the 3600 tc is also gunna hurt it a little. add all that to a good size cam will cost you.

But why are you partially taking the motor apart? and yea I think your battery could be a culprit
Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

well not having OD doesn't help with mpg. and if its all in town driving the 3600 tc is also gunna hurt it a little. add all that to a good size cam will cost you.

But why are you partially taking the motor apart? and yea I think your battery could be a culprit
Yea, i kinda expected a bit of a drop off in mileage when i got the car because of the mods listed, i just didnt think it would be that noticeable. I still think it can do better, maybe not much, but better, as you can tell by the smell alone that it is running pretty rich.

Well, by partially apart i mean enough to replace all of the main oil seals. Pan, front and rear mains, valve covers etc.
Got a bit of a leak somewhere. So id like to take advantage of having the engine out of the car.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

O wow, yea that could be a problem haha.

And I got cha, yea it's always best to get everything done when you have the chance
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

O wow, yea that could be a problem haha.

And I got cha, yea it's always best to get everything done when you have the chance
Yea, its gassy smelling :/ Im having a hard time finding a reputable tuner too. Have you heard anything or been to XP Racing in OKC?

I will say that im not extremely worried about just rushing into something heads/cam wise. I will be moving to within a mile of my job by the end of may, so if i dont find something im set on by the time I replace all the gaskets then I'm not going to fret over it.

The more i think about it too, the more i lean to just going with swapping heads, and keeping the cam. Since i wont be driving as far i might as well cut the cost of a new cam and just get heads to match this one, and put money into some more suspension/ upgraded valve train stuff.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

What are 852 heads? Are they any better than my stock 241's? Just curious cuz i found a pair with under 100 miles for $400? Would they be worth picking up and getting ported?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Talked to a guy that used to be with HPE about the S cam. As far as heads he suggested either the 64 cc Trickflows or some AFR's. He said the Trick Flows with this cam would have the best PTV.

I think im going to look into that a little more as ive seen some people making good power with those heads and the similar ms3 cam.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Xp tuned my car, Brett is a decent dude. Depends on who you talk to I guess. I didn't have a problem and actually liked my tune, it Pulled like a train till I had trans problems. He is usually really cool if you are to him. You go in as some loud mouth punk then your gunna have a bad time.

As for heads only I don't see why that wouldn't be the best route. He'll you already have a good size cam. No need to spend money for another. I like the idea of trick flows and AFR's but thereso damn expensive. For less you can get some 2.5 243's from tsp or tea heads are also a good piece to look at. Just some other option before you drop that kind of coin on heads. Don't get me wrong they are badass but I feel there are just as good options for less.

Here is a link talking about the heads and general in and outs to give you an idea.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-heads-442909/
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Xp tuned my car, Brett is a decent dude. Depends on who you talk to I guess. I didn't have a problem and actually liked my tune, it Pulled like a train till I had trans problems. He is usually really cool if you are to him. You go in as some loud mouth punk then your gunna have a bad time.

As for heads only I don't see why that wouldn't be the best route. He'll you already have a good size cam. No need to spend money for another. I like the idea of trick flows and AFR's but thereso damn expensive. For less you can get some 2.5 243's from tsp or tea heads are also a good piece to look at. Just some other option before you drop that kind of coin on heads. Don't get me wrong they are badass but I feel there are just as good options for less.

Here is a link talking about the heads and general in and outs to give you an idea.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-heads-442909/
Im definetely not going to go in there acting arrogant if i use, him. Im still really new to the ls engines having come from Fords Mod motors. There is just so much more, especially parts wise, it seems like compared to the ls stuff.

The biggest issue i will have with the heads is getting a good set that will ok safe ptv with that cam.
The guy i talked to did mention 243's so i will look into those as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Ea 243's are usually the way most people go

Quick Reply: My Z28 Build: Beat up to bad ass