Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

gauge cluster malfunction 99 z/28

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gauge cluster malfunction 99 z/28

I have a 99 Z/28. I'm having weird issues with my gauge cluster. After driving the car about 15 minutes, the odometer starts flashing fast and the RPM, speedometer, gas gauge and volts started bouncing up and down, along with every single warning light, almost as if the power is being turned on and off very fast.

I have checked the battery for voltage, its seems fine, its 13.8 volts and the gauge cluster fuse reads the same voltage. When it happens its always while the car is in movement forward or reverse. If I put in neutral, drive or park and the car is stopped the gauges return to normal. Any forward or reverse movement makes the gauges go crazy.

If I park the car and its sits awhile all is good again until it decides to start acting up again. Nothing else on the car is acting up, and I had a scan done which shows no error codes. I have also cleaned the battery cables and secured down, and checked every ground I can find other than the gauge ground.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

on my 97 vert i had almost the same problem it was caused by water dripping from the window onto the fuse panel. all i did was clean all of the terminals in there with a welding tip cleaner and gave all the new fuses a good coat of dielectric grease have not had it happen again.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Teching In

I will give that a try. I just dont understand why the gauges only start flickering when the car is moving. As soon as I stop the gauges reset to normal. I though I had the problem figured out, as the problems stopped for 5 days, but now it's come back with a vengence. I have had it start the fix itself also now while driving. I'm also seeing the ABS INOP light flashing madly as well.

If anyone else has any ideas I'm willing to try it. I plan on checking both gauge grounds tonight (supposedly they're being both kick panels).
Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Teching In

I wanted to post a follow up to my original post. I finally fixed this issue, and if anyone else has this problem here is how I fixed my gauges going crazy on me.

I took a chance and bought a used gauge cluster on ebay from a used parts business out of florida. It only cost $40 with shipping which was an amazing price. They didn't post the mileage so I figured I would have to pay to have it reprogrammed.

I put it in within 10 minutes and to my surprise the mileage was 3000 more than my original, so no reprogramming was necessary.

This was six months ago and it hasn't done it since.

Quick Reply: gauge cluster malfunction 99 z/28