Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Should I dump Gas and Light it on fire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I dump Gas and Light it on fire?

Got this car 2 days ago 1989 Camaro Z28 had a 5.0 was swapped my previous owner to a 5.7. He claimed the car did not start that all it needed was a fuel pump.. Bought the car taking a risk for $500. It's not the fuel pump the starter doesn't even turn over with the key nor does it have spark or fuel!!! connected a button to the starter (push start) it turns the engine over.. No spark swapped the Ignition coil and an engine module I believe which is located under the distributor cap.. Still no spark to the tips nor the plug nor the coil.... Have no clue what it is...
Attached Thumbnails Should I dump Gas and Light it on fire?-kris1.jpg   Should I dump Gas and Light it on fire?-kris2.jpg   Should I dump Gas and Light it on fire?-kris3.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 AM
Teching In

I'd start with diagnosing why your key wont turn the engine over then worry about spark and fuel second. If you're using a remote starter to just apply voltage to the starter then of course there will be no spark or fuel pump if the car isn't turned to ign. KOER Key On Engine Running. I would also check to see if the fuse box has a "Starter Enable Relay" on the diagram. If it does the vehicle has factory VATS vehicle anti theft system. Which will also stop you from getting spark etc. It's my understanding that some 89s have VATs, The oldest camaro I owned was a 90 Iroc and it certainly did.

The worst thing you can do would be to keep throwing parts at it without any reason. Buy a DVOM from any auto parts and diagnose the car FIRST.
If you can't diagnose it get a second opinion. Otherwise you're just "Spinning your wheels" on this project and making the car a little more appealing with un-needed new parts to the next guy when you give up on it.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May not be an option for u, but I have in the past, taken car x to mechanic x for an estimate. The find the problems, tell u what needs replaced. Then if u were to buy the parts and replace urself, well u get the point. However in our case that means trailer it there and back.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BurnedZ28
I'd start with diagnosing why your key wont turn the engine over then worry about spark and fuel second. If you're using a remote starter to just apply voltage to the starter then of course there will be no spark or fuel pump if the car isn't turned to ign. KOER Key On Engine Running. I would also check to see if the fuse box has a "Starter Enable Relay" on the diagram. If it does the vehicle has factory VATS vehicle anti theft system. Which will also stop you from getting spark etc. It's my understanding that some 89s have VATs, The oldest camaro I owned was a 90 Iroc and it certainly did.

The worst thing you can do would be to keep throwing parts at it without any reason. Buy a DVOM from any auto parts and diagnose the car FIRST.
If you can't diagnose it get a second opinion. Otherwise you're just "Spinning your wheels" on this project and making the car a little more appealing with un-needed new parts to the next guy when you give up on it.
Yes it does have a VATs.. I'm going to look up how to bipass it.. or if you know how any advice would be great!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Yeah that sounds like something I might have to do I have my electrician coming hopefully he can find the problem if not I'm giving up on it lol
Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

deliver it to brampton ontario and I'll pay you 600 bucks haha
Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kristoramirez
Yes it does have a VATs.. I'm going to look up how to bipass it.. or if you know how any advice would be great!

http://www.vatssucks.com/
Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
deliver it to brampton ontario and I'll pay you 600 bucks haha
If you lived in Ontario Ca lol I would've taken it to you for 600
Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BurnedZ28
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Should I dump Gas and Light it on fire?