Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 SS with 3600 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SS with 3600 miles?

I have a chance to purchase an 02 SS with 3600 miles. My gut feeling is that it could develop a problem or two if it were driven almost daily because it's been sitting for so long. Any opinions on this?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not. It wouldn't really be any different than any other car that old. You would be the opposite of most people, not really mileage wearing out parts, but age. As long as all the soft parts aren't dried up and gross I imagine it should be fine.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car had 538 miles on it when I picked it up last year. I put it away in Decemeber with 1907 miles on it and didnt have a single problem.
Really depends on how it was stored. My car sat in a climate controlled garage for 13 years, fired up 2 times a year and driven around the block.
I cant wait to get it back out as soon as this shitty weather breaks!

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it and if something breaks so be it...
Old 03-26-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of the problems stem from how and where it was stored. If it was in a climate with wide temp swings you can get condensation inside the engine, trans & diff. If fuel was left in it the rubber in the fuel system can corrode. Any rubber can dry rot. Moisture in the brake lines can cause rust & failure of parts in the brake system. Seals can get dry, hard & crack. Valve springs that sat compressed can loose their tension. Lifters can get stuck in the bores or cause a small flat spot on a cam.

In really bad cases small animals can take up residence in various parts of the car.

All that said it comes down to the price & how much you want it. If you are buying it to be a DD then I would get something else. Not because of anything I mentioned above but to preserve the low mile status of this car.

But ultimately it is all up to you. Good luck & I hope you enjoy what ever you purchase.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

From the pics it looks like its kept in a somewhat dirty looking garage. I'll pass on this one I reckon. If it were a WS6 I'd be all over it.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by WarlordZ
From the pics it looks like its kept in a somewhat dirty looking garage. I'll pass on this one I reckon. If it were a WS6 I'd be all over it.
I know you said you are passing on it but generally my experience has been very positive with low mileage 'modern' cars. They do much better than cars of the past (1980's and before). The ethanol gas is the killer but easily remedied by draining the tank. You want to get rid of that water layer that will exist in the tank once the separation phase occurs.
As stated above you do have to know about poor storage factors as well. All kinds of 'critter' problems exist (especially mice) plus I would be leery of any car left in a non-climate controlled garage every winter year after year. That's not a good thing. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, low mileage is better than high mileage every time. If something breaks or is rotten, replace it. Non "worn-out" cars are worth spending a few bucks on....
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any old car will give you issues unless the owners replaced 100% of parts as they go bad, which ive never seen anyone do before. High mileage just means theres more parts that couldve been worn out.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Buy it and drive the hell out of it don't be like all the candy asses these day's who save it for an investment and don't use it. These cars were meant to be used and ran maybe in 30 years the above will matter but few of us have the money or space to store a time capsule car for now it's a 12 year old GM car nothing special, rare or collectible other than someone has kept miles off it. That means you are in a great spot they took the loss on it you get to pop her cherry and enjoy her.
She'll be a great car that deserves to be driven and enjoyed sure you may have some small age related stuff but it'll be easy fix it and keep truckin stuff.

Quick Reply: 2002 SS with 3600 miles?