Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Strange noise at warm start up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise at warm start up?

Below is a video I got of a weird annoying noise that occurs sometimes when my car is warm and is started back up until it's back to running temp. Doesn't do it when the engine is cold or if it's still hot.

I was thinking it might be the AIR pump, or something else emissions related? The sound also comes out of the exhaust. In the video you hear it, I rev the engine a little and it goes away but comes back at idle then completely goes away. Usually takes a minute or two once started up for the sound to go away.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Pop out the fuse for the AIR pump under the hood in the fuse block... then try it again.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Should I just re-seat the fuse? Or remove it completely and try it?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Launching!

I would warm the car up, shut it off then remove it completely and try starting the car.

It won't hurt anything, all it does is pump air into the exhaust manifolds to help warm up the cats for emissions reasons. Some say it also helps prolong the life of the cats by helping them get up to temperature faster
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by b.lee
I would warm the car up, shut it off then remove it completely and try starting the car.

It won't hurt anything, all it does is pump air into the exhaust manifolds to help warm up the cats for emissions reasons. Some say it also helps prolong the life of the cats by helping them get up to temperature faster
What all should I expect to happen? Or should it just prevent the noise since the pump won't be running. The noise doesn't happen EVERY time I start it up warm, but probably every other time or every third time.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Same happens on my '99 z28. I never thought it was abnormal. Perhaps one of these search results will help?

Major Symptoms of a Failing Fuel Pump (or filter)
There are four signs of fuel pump malfunction that are easy to figure out. It is not necessary that all four should be present; you need to act fast if even one of them occurs.
One of the two biggest symptoms of a malfunctioning fuel pump is overheating and the consequent stalling. If the pump gets heated within a few minutes of turning the car on, it needs to be replaced. A bad pump will also show signs of intermittent breakdown; it will work for around 15-20 minutes and then stop working. Once the vehicle is allowed to remain idle for around 30 minutes so the engine can cool down, the pump functions normally. That is not, however, the solution, as the pump will stop working every time it overheats.
The second biggest symptom is the sound the engine makes while starting, especially during cold starts. It's like the engine is screaming or screeching. The sound will always occur when you start the car, but stops once the car has started. If you can get someone to help you out, put the key into ignition without starting the car, and have your friend stand by the gas cap and listen for the sound of a running motor. If he doesn't hear anything, your fuel pump might be bad.
If your car loses power while climbing up on slopes, it could again be the fuel pump that is failing. It can't provide the additional gas the car needs to go ahead without losing speed.
If the flow to the fuel injection system is not constant, the engine may develop problems. Signs include a hesitant start or a stumbling problem on ignition. If small, unwanted debris or grainy particles enter the pumping system it can cause a breakdown, thus, abrupt stopping of a vehicle can also be considered a symptom. If the filtering mechanism develops a problem or gets struck up with impurities, the engine will show symptoms like rough firing and fickle working.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sympt...fuel-pump.html

Last edited by NL_SLI_GT; 04-03-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add extra information
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NL_SLI_GT
Same happens on my '99 z28. I never thought it was abnormal. Perhaps one of these search results will help?

Major Symptoms of a Failing Fuel Pump (or filter)
There are four signs of fuel pump malfunction that are easy to figure out. It is not necessary that all four should be present; you need to act fast if even one of them occurs.
One of the two biggest symptoms of a malfunctioning fuel pump is overheating and the consequent stalling. If the pump gets heated within a few minutes of turning the car on, it needs to be replaced. A bad pump will also show signs of intermittent breakdown; it will work for around 15-20 minutes and then stop working. Once the vehicle is allowed to remain idle for around 30 minutes so the engine can cool down, the pump functions normally. That is not, however, the solution, as the pump will stop working every time it overheats.
The second biggest symptom is the sound the engine makes while starting, especially during cold starts. It's like the engine is screaming or screeching. The sound will always occur when you start the car, but stops once the car has started. If you can get someone to help you out, put the key into ignition without starting the car, and have your friend stand by the gas cap and listen for the sound of a running motor. If he doesn't hear anything, your fuel pump might be bad.
If your car loses power while climbing up on slopes, it could again be the fuel pump that is failing. It can't provide the additional gas the car needs to go ahead without losing speed.
If the flow to the fuel injection system is not constant, the engine may develop problems. Signs include a hesitant start or a stumbling problem on ignition. If small, unwanted debris or grainy particles enter the pumping system it can cause a breakdown, thus, abrupt stopping of a vehicle can also be considered a symptom. If the filtering mechanism develops a problem or gets struck up with impurities, the engine will show symptoms like rough firing and fickle working.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sympt...fuel-pump.html
Fuel filter is new, fuel pump is fine. There isn't any hesitation in the motor, it's just the noise. Thanks for the extra thought though.

Originally Posted by b.lee

I cranked it up and it made the noise when warm, turned the car off quickly and pulled the fuse and cranked it back up and the noise was gone. Turned it off again, put the fuse back in, and the noise was back.

I guess it's time to delete my AIR pump and get the code deleted, along with the cats!

Quick Reply: Strange noise at warm start up?