Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help...

I am new to this forum and not sure where I need to post this, but I need help immediatly.
I had my water pump changed, with a brand new pump, and a new thermostat installed. Since then my 1994 Camaro Z28 has consistantly overheated. Due to things id read in forums it was somewhat natural to run a little warm especially on hot days in traffic, but when I would get going 35-40mph it would immediatly cool down and get around 180-190 even though in traffic after 30-60 mins of driving it would get about 240degrees. So I wasnt to concerned with this.
Today I was driving and suddenly the temp gage spiked into the red....as I was contemplating where to pull over it suddenly dropped back down to about 180-190 and seemed ok. I got to where I was going and popped the hood and didnt notice much of anything out of the ordinary.
On my way home tonight it spiked again to the red. So I stopped, shut the car off, and let it sit. When I turned it back on temp was around 160 and I drove for 5minutes and it spiked into the red again and once again I looked for where to pull over and it instantly dropped back to 180-190.
When I got home I popped the hood and now there appears to be coolant on top of the battery and on the underside of the hood above the battery on the passenger side and on some of the hoses on the passenger side. What could this be....please help.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 AM
Teching In

those damn LT1 were a bitch to purge the air from cooling system. the best and quickest way to avoid anything like this on those cars after a water pump R&R is to back fill the engine coolant through the hole where the thermostat sits, reinstall tstat, top off radiator, restart the engine and purge system through bleeders
Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks realistyc....I will try doing this. I also changed the coolant reservoir ...
Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May be a silly questions but why did you change the water pump ?!

Quick Reply: help...