Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need HELP how to take out upper dash 02 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP how to take out upper dash 02 camaro?

I had avoided getting any cracks in my dash board the upper part on an 98-02 Camaro but the Texas heat finally got it.

I'm hoping to find a write up or help on how to remove it without breaking more or just in general in attempt to fix or put in a new one.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You can forget it coming out in one piece go ahead a locate a replacement before attempting removal, Use a panel popper and carefully remove a pillar trim and then start at one side of the dash or the other and pry up with your fingers at the edge of the dash to get popper under then just carefuly work your way across the front and then to the back but chances are it will be cke cause it will shatter into a million pieces.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Agreed, what is holding it down and in place?

Your right the more I look at it id be better off just breaking it to get the existing one out. (the crack is really big or Id try to save it.) I will try to save it first before I break anything I hate to see it every time I get into my baby. I had seen a guy offering to wrap the panel in vinyl if it wasn't cracked completely as in pieces it looked ok, but he wanted $200.

What I am wondering is what is holding it in place? From the underside? if feels like an adhesive but im not too sure, or is just the A pillar keeping it inline.

I wanna make sure when I find a good one I pull it out perfectly without breaking. I know local parts yard has a few late 4th gens just gotta go looking.
Is there a company that offers replacements like Year One?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

In middle, on left and right side there are some velcro patchs that for some reason they though was a good idea from the factory. GM has discontinued them but you can still find them just pay a premium when you do.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

thanks bro I thought I felt Velcro but then thought "no way" but I guess they did lol thanks again
Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

nov of 93 was First time I pulled a dash panel off and the rear quarter plastic panels where the sail panel subs are installed I thought what the holy Frick were they thinking I started laughing because these dang interiors are installed and built like hasbro thought them up.

Quick Reply: Need HELP how to take out upper dash 02 camaro?