Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

ANYONE have any suggestions?? 68 Maro (problems headers and angle plug heads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ANYONE have any suggestions?? 68 Maro (problems headers and angle plug heads)

I have a 68 camaro that I'm putting together. Its a 383 brodix heads, comp solid roller, yanno all the go fast goodies.

But I have a problem! These Brodix Track 1 heads have angle plugs and I have headers that DON'T fit angle plug heads. I need headers that DO fit angle plug heads. The ONLY headers I can find THAT DO fit angle plug heads with a 1 and 7/8" tube are Hooker Super Comps. The problem with these headers is that they cost $400! Thats a lot considering I would like to discard them in the future for a set of ceramic coated headers, and I don't really have 600 to put into some ceramic coated hookers either.

What to do what to do?????

Josh S.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I don't understand the problem...

The way I read your post:

-You want 1 7/8" headers now
-You want them for less than $400
-You want to get rid of them in the future to go with coated 1 7/8" headers
-You don't have the $600 to spend on coated 1 7/8" headers now
-Only Hooker makes them

IMO you should either buy a set of used headers off of Ebay, put dents in the primaries for the plugs, and not be picky about the size or looks (if it's a 'temporary' thing), or you should just buck up and get the coated 1 7/8" headers (which is what you want and know will fit). Heck, put some stock exhaust manifolds on there if you just want to get the car running. I don't know if fourth gen LT1 exhaust manifolds would fit, but they're angle plug heads...
Old 05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Well thats pretty much the way it goes. I wanted some big tube headers that would fit cheap, but looks like I'll be purchasing a set of heddmans which cary a 1 and 3/4" tube which isn't too bad but they will work till I can get a set of Hookers that I want.

FWIT... I tried ebay last night and couldn't find anything to fit an angle plug head.

Josh S.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 68 with a 383 also, same problem happened, with my edelbrock heads... LOL
anyway I got the hooker's coated etc.. but that was like 8 yrs ago.. I thought they were only $400 coated and all..???
Old 05-20-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

I wish they were only 400 coated! Jegs wants $599 for coated Hooker Super Comp 2207's (67-69 Camaro 1 and 7/8 tube, 3.5 inch collectors, and will fit angle plug heads). Not to mention I have a freind who has some hookers on his LS1 car and he hasn't had them but maybe 6 months and they are beginning to rust! I think I'll just buy the non coated super comps(in the end) and send them to jet hot.

Josh S.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you would think that as long as the SBCs have been around that they would of solved that problem a long time ago. unfortuantly, you just go to spend the money to do it right.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:07 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

buy the uncoated and run them for awhile as long as you don't beat them up you can reuse them a little later down the road when your ready to have them coated. jet hot or whoever will blast the rust off before coating so who cares if they rust now. and myself personally i'm not fond of jet hot there are other less well known names that do better work.

Quick Reply: ANYONE have any suggestions?? 68 Maro (problems headers and angle plug heads)