Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

intro & ? about steering issue..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intro & ? about steering issue..

Hello fellow enthusiasts, I've lurked around now for about 2 years, but now I'm "officially" registered. I've recently (1 week)started having a steering problem with my NBM 00 Camaro SS Build#3981. When I put her in gear, prior to moving, steering wheel is stiff, but as soon as you begin to move, no stiffness at all. Checked P.S. fluid, pump, pulley, rack & pinion, wheels, tires, also had local mechanic check, he says no issues. My next thought is steering column, all looks ok, except for 1 thing I noticed 2 weeks ago, while changing the oil, lower steering column under u-joint, seems to be hitting something,(header?)Today while out, my husband says steering is stiff,something doesn't feel right, we pull over pop the hood, I have him turn the wheel rt., lt, . It makes a chattering sound when fully turned, that can only be heard from the inside of car. Also when he turns the wheel, the L.column seems to very slightly move right then goes right back. So is this bad U-joints, column? Or could it also have something to do with front end suspension as well, ball joint, tie rod ect.? Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this before? Any suggestions/ opinions? Just want to get it fixed A.S.A.P, weather is finally nice, and now can't.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/images/sm...r_banghead.gif https://ls1tech.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif
Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has the steering rack ever been replaced? I.e. with a rebuilt unit? If so, it is possible it could have been replaced with a LT1 unit which puts the steering shaft at a horrible angle. If you have headers -- and the LT1 steering rack -- you're liking having fitment issues.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Default Update:

So here's what I've found out, it has unknown headers on it, I was told mid-length, definitely not stock and I'm assuming the previous owner ground down the lower knuckle to make clearance (1/8") between header. Local performance shop we took it to says it's the pump, so as of now I'm gonna get the pump and throw that and aftermarket PS cooler in tomorrow. Now the big question what's a good pump? Shop says they see a lot of failures with Advance/Autozone PS pumps, so he was gonna replace with NAPA pump(remaned) for $385.15? Holy-f***! for just the pump/install. Checked the price it's $88, but if I'm going to pay that kinda money that thing better be at the minimum new, or is that a for real typical price for that? I usually fix my own, so not sure of going rates.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Don't bother with a power steering cooler -- just eliminate the factory cooler entirely and don't add another.

Not sure a pump is going to fix the issue, but Turn One is the preferred choice for replacement pumps (http://www.turnone-steering.com/#!on...=0&sort=normal). If not looking to spend that type of money, I always prefer ACDelco (which is usually most affordable through Amazon). One can get reman for less than $100. New GM pump less than $200.

I see you're in Pittsburgh... there are several of us in the area One of the guys went through similar/the same issue with their Trans Am. He tried replacing a bunch of stuff until finally replacing the steering rack.

Last edited by demonspeed; 05-01-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Default Update:P/S pump installed..

So pump & pulley install is now done,cooler is deleted, but seems to have lost some HP off the jump. So would I be correct in my thinking by assuming a possible loss of HP due to now having a fully working p/s pump? Plugs/wires were next on the to-do list, unless there is something else I should be looking at first that might be causing the slow down? tensioner, belt is new.
I have seen quite a few f-bodies around Pittsburgh since the weather is finally getting nice, if only it would stop F***ing raining!!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Could be a myriad of things, even the warm weather and high humidity in the area as of late. It's likely a good time for a full tune up -- change the fuel filter, plugs, wires, and even consider eliminating the possibility of most vacuum leaks by doing the 2004 LS6 PCV conversion.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Default Another issue.....

So, whines upon startup, then after 2-3 min. quiet, now there's a ghost leak somewhere double checked pressure line, return hose,rack looks fine, no leaks there, etc., ?, what should I be checking now?, Held the fluid for about 2-3 days, yesterday fluid was low, shouldn't a leak be detectable the 1st day or so?
Old 05-22-2015, 10:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Do you have the return hose going directly from the rack to the reservoir, or did you end up doing something else to eliminate the cooler? There's really only so much to the system -- pump to rack; rack to pump (assuming the cooler is deleted entirely). Perhaps the pump seal is leaking behind it and trickling somewhere inconspicuous?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Teching In

return hose is going straight to reservoir, looks like leak is from res, I'll throw a new O-ring on that, and cross my fingers that it finally stops leaking.
Off topic, but for the plugs/wires I was considering MSD w/NGK iridium X plugs, currently running NGK Tr55 plugs Delco wires?

Quick Reply: intro & ? about steering issue..