Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 z28 m6 starting issue

Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 z28 m6 starting issue

OK. First off if I turn the key on and roll the car and pop the clutch, it start up and runs....voltage creeps up to 13ish, but if i kill it, it drops to 10-11 and when i turn the key to try to engauge the starter it drops to below 9 or less volts. I've checked replays etc and like i said car runs fine it i push start it. I've read and looked through lots of threads and my best guess is bad started solenoid, or loose wire at starter. I will be checking both tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone would chime in with an opinion. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's common with these cars, the starter needs replacement at some point. But, you may want to get her checked out to make sure so you don't spend money on something that doesn't fix it. I went at it alone and replaced the battery, installed a vats resistor, then replaced starter and finally replaced the BCM. In the end, all I needed was to replace the starter and everything else would of been fine. So about 400$ extra worth of stuff. I could of spent that on something else for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 z28 m6 starting issue