Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

"new" 1979 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "new" 1979 Camaro

Hello,
Picked this car up and noticed a few things the previous owner changed. The engine is now a edelbrock carburetor and march performance belts and engine 350. I noticed what i think is a couple things missing. The window washer fluid tank was missing, not sure what is in its place. added pics

Also when trying to gun it i would have to do a quick pump i think to have it kick in, is this normal or do you think something might be wrong with the fuel/air mixture or pump?
Another thing is the sideview mirror is loose, not the holder just the ball pivot i think, if you know of i have to replace it or could be broken down and fixed?
Last thing,
the steering seemed to have a little play and i am thinking the gear box tire rods, or simply need a little tighting... but i am not an expert.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by unreal1171
Hello,
Picked this car up and noticed a few things the previous owner changed. The engine is now a edelbrock carburetor and march performance belts and engine 350.
Additionally, you have an aftermarket Edelbrock intake with what appears to be their "endura-shine" finish, headers, possibly an aluminum water pump, and re-arranged accessories to go along with the March pulley system (A/C compressor and alternator have been flipped from stock locations - alternator was moved to the passenger side for SBCs starting in 1969.) That A/C compressor is also aftermarket. Looks like the heater hose is running from the intake right back to the water pump, so the heater core was probably leaking and thus bypassed - either that or there is some very strange hose routing. Based on the color, the wires are probably Accel brand, and of course you also have braided hoses and chrome valve covers/air cleaner.

Also when trying to gun it i would have to do a quick pump i think to have it kick in, is this normal or do you think something might be wrong with the fuel/air mixture or pump?
Not sure what you mean by "kick-in"? If you mean downshift (if the car is an auto, which would likely be a TH350), then there might be issues with detent cable adjustment. If you just mean general hesitation/lack of power, then it may be related to accelerator pump issues. My carb knowledge is based mostly around Holley style carbs, so I'm not extremely familiar with the adjustments and modifications that can or can't be done with the Edelbrock style acc. pumps.

Last thing,
the steering seemed to have a little play and i am thinking the gear box tire rods, or simply need a little tighting... but i am not an expert.
Could be any/all or a combo of those things, it would need further inspection to be diagnosed. Sloppy front tires might also magnify any issues with play in the steering.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Additionally, you have an aftermarket Edelbrock intake with what appears to be their "endura-shine" finish, headers, possibly an aluminum water pump, and re-arranged accessories to go along with the March pulley system (A/C compressor and alternator have been flipped from stock locations - alternator was moved to the passenger side for SBCs starting in 1969.) That A/C compressor is also aftermarket. Looks like the heater hose is running from the intake right back to the water pump, so the heater core was probably leaking and thus bypassed - either that or there is some very strange hose routing. Based on the color, the wires are probably Accel brand, and of course you also have braided hoses and chrome valve covers/air cleaner.

Not sure what you mean by "kick-in"? If you mean downshift (if the car is an auto, which would likely be a TH350), then there might be issues with detent cable adjustment. If you just mean general hesitation/lack of power, then it may be related to accelerator pump issues. My carb knowledge is based mostly around Holley style carbs, so I'm not extremely familiar with the adjustments and modifications that can or can't be done with the Edelbrock style acc. pumps.

Could be any/all or a combo of those things, it would need further inspection to be diagnosed. Sloppy front tires might also magnify any issues with play in the steering.
wow thx for the great info!

Quick Reply: "new" 1979 Camaro