Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

97 Camaro LSX swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 97 Camaro LSX swap

Hello, I am new to this forum and to be honest new to the forum world in general.
Recently I came across a '97 z28 auto with a bolt snapped in the crank. Before I even had a chance to take the lt1 out I came across a great deal on a '02 z28 ( damaged beyond repair besides drivetrain) and the devil on my shoulder made me buy it.
Now after all the research I've done I have decided the ls1 is not what I want for the '97 Z so I am selling it but keeping every other lsx part from it (k member, gas tank, trans, front suspension, etc.)
I am looking to build a streetable car with 500+ whp so I'm leaning more towards the direction of a lq4 nitrous set up and I am just curious if anyone can point me in the right direction or possibly another thread from someone who has done it before or maybe another forum that'll have more answers for me.
Pretty much my questions are as followed.
1. Does anyone want to buy my ls1? (60k miles)
2. Standalone harness or one of those custom harnesses? I am electrically inept.
3. Fuel system.. Can I just swap the gas tanks and fuel lines all together and call it a day?
4. Is it worth it?

As it stands right now I have my '97 z28 sitting on jackstands with the front k member and suspension removed, and the ls1 on the k member and front suspension sitting in front of the car with every other salvageable part from the '02 z28.

Any help or advice would he greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are a couple threads I would read if I were you. Pretty good information in them. It can all be done and worth it if thats what you want. Some would say just get an LS car and work from there and others will say the swap is doable.

As for the 500hp nitrous set up an ls1 is capable with the right upgrades. Also an affordable alternative would be a 5.3l. You will want to make the necessary upgrades to any motor however when you are introducing nitrous.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...to-95-z28.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lt1-car.html

Good luck hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 97 Camaro LSX swap