Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 Z28 BCM Diagnostic Mode (B4C)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Z28 BCM Diagnostic Mode (B4C)

Hello all, I have a 2002 B4C originally used in the Florida HP. I first got the car in 2007 and it only had the power door locks. I acquired a BCM from a used car that had RKE and the Theft Deterrent System matching my key resistor pellet. All the upgraded functions work EXCEPT I cannot enter the BCM diagnosis mode. The service manual (for the 1999 F Body) says turn key to 'on', then 'off', then remove radio fuse #17, then to 'acc' and the one or two beeps tells you the model option you have (alarm/keyless entry). Since I can not enter this diagnostic mode, I cannot program the features of all to what I want them to. Now, since this BCM doesn't let me enter diagnostic mode, I thought it might be a problem with the BCM. So, today I reinstalled the original BCM that came with the B4C car. Tried to enter diagnostic mode with it, same results. It will not beep the one time with that original BCM. I am at a loss as to why this will not allow me to enter either BCM's diagnosis mode. I certainly do not want to purchase a new BCM if it will not let me enter into its programmable functions. Is there a different method for a 2002 vs the 1999 as indicated in the 99 service manual? Suggestions? Thanks for any help, in advance.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

OK, so no-one can help with the BCM not able to enter diagnostic mode. I also wanted to post a rather unusual find that I have with my car. In the last few months, the alarm has been going off at random. It usually went off at the quietest time of the night. After resetting it a few times, I decided to unplug the shock sensor. Unplugging the shock sensor prevented the alarm from going off. I ordered a used one off flea-bay, and it continued to randomly activate. About two weeks ago, I moved the car to the front to mow the back yard. My Mrs found the drivers side back-up light lense (the horizontal clear lense) on the grass. It just popped off, and was in pieces. When I got the car, I had some scratches on the tail-lights. Again, hit up flea-bay, and got a set of gently used ones. I had the original ones stored so it was time to bring them out and re-use them. Simple to replace only two 'thumbnuts' inside the trunk behind the trim in the rear. Well, the drivers side assembly was COMPLETELY full of water! Also determined the outer drivers side park/running light bulb was blown. After installing a replacement bulb and reattaching the assemblies, I started the car and checked all bulbs, all well. Since replacing the flooded drivers side taillight assembly, the alarm has not gone off again. In researching the alarm/BCM situation, I find the BCM goes into a 'sleep' mode (1999 "F" Body Manual, page 8-515). One of the circuits 'sleep' mode monitors is the park/running lamp circuits. So, it seems water in the drivers side tail lamp assembly will set off the alarm. As it sits, its been all quiet in the neighborhood. Anyone ever hear of such a situation?
Old 11-28-2015, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

TTT! Been a while, any tech folks want to 'speculate'? The random alarms are gone since replacing the drivers side taillight assembly. Both posts are related, I was going to try disabling the feature regarding the motion sensor (originally) until I had time to troubleshoot the alarm going off all hours. Since replacing that taillight its been a full nights sleep and no more complaints BUT the inability of accessing the features inherent in the two BCM's still bugs me to no end.

Quick Reply: 2002 Z28 BCM Diagnostic Mode (B4C)