Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 SS w/ SLP - Rough. Worth it?

Old 11-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 SS w/ SLP - Rough. Worth it?

I have the opportunity to purchase an 02 SS w/ the 345hp Dual/Dual SLP exhaust package.

Car is VERY used with almost 200,000 miles. Original owner though, with all original paperwork.

Body is ok, very minor rust on the inside rear wheel well lips (nothing I am concerned about) and the floors are solid.

Car needs; power steering fixed (it's currently leaking and has no fluid left, could be a line, pump or rack...I couldn't tell), brakes, tires, rims (yes, factory rims are gone, aftermarket units are badly corroded!). It also has an aftermarket alarm/remote start that's acting strange, and probably hacked in. It has a massive stereo in it, which has been yanked, so it's got no speakers or deck (althought the factory stuff is included).

Car starts and sounds good, no codes, but I couldn't drive it because I can't even turn the steering wheel with the power steering like it is.

I can get the car pretty cheap, but it's obviously going to take a lot of work and $ to get it back into shape....and it'll always be a high mileage car.

Is it worth the effort? What does a driving high mileage SS go for?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,053 Posts

With that many issues and miles there is really no price premium for being an SS or even 345hp package car; no collector would ever be interested in this example so the only value that these parts add is about the same as what they would be worth on the used market for someone making a clone.

If you're looking for a project, this might be a fine one if the price is fair for something with so many miles and all those concerns. Personally I would rather pay more for a nicer example, but some people are specifically looking for a project car so this might be just right for you.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what is the price
Old 11-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Teching In

I don't really want to say, but it's not much more than I recently paid for a really good set of tires. lol
Old 11-29-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Post pics!
Old 11-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Teching In

No photos, sorry. I promised the owner I wouldn't.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Buy it. Look on here for used parts and have it going for under 1k . Sounds like a steal to me if you want a fun weekend toy
Old 11-29-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd buy it for the right price. Especially being a one owner car
Old 11-30-2015, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Dude, are you seriously asking if a car is worth it, then refusing to post pics or tell us how much he wants for it?!? Those are the two things REQUIRED to judge if it's worth it.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JC316
Dude, are you seriously asking if a car is worth it, then refusing to post pics or tell us how much he wants for it?!? Those are the two things REQUIRED to judge if it's worth it.
I disagree. I gave you a very accurate and detailed description of all the key areas of the car. I also gave a breakdown of what it needs and a rough gauge of the guys asking price. I am not looking for an appraisal, just hoping to start some discussion about how a car like this is viewed....Comments like those from RPM WS6 are very helpful.

Obviously from a strictly monetary perspective the car is worth the asking price, the engine alone would be worth more than the guy is asking, leather seats, SS hood, SS exhaust etc are all profit if I was into parting it out. But I am not, I am looking for a project (and eventual driver) so I am trying to gauge whether it's worth the $ (for parts) and time to get it back into shape.....

For the record; I am a thirdgen (I own 3) and MG (own 4) guy..Those particular cars I know very well; and if someone gave me the info I provided in my original post I could give them an honest idea of what I'd pay for the car as it sits, what it would likely take to get it together, issues to watch for, etc.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Firm
I disagree. I gave you a very accurate and detailed description of all the key areas of the car. I also gave a breakdown of what it needs and a rough gauge of the guys asking price. I am not looking for an appraisal, just hoping to start some discussion about how a car like this is viewed....Comments like those from RPM WS6 are very helpful.

Obviously from a strictly monetary perspective the car is worth the asking price, the engine alone would be worth more than the guy is asking, leather seats, SS hood, SS exhaust etc are all profit if I was into parting it out. But I am not, I am looking for a project (and eventual driver) so I am trying to gauge whether it's worth the $ (for parts) and time to get it back into shape.....

For the record; I am a thirdgen (I own 3) and MG (own 4) guy..Those particular cars I know very well; and if someone gave me the info I provided in my original post I could give them an honest idea of what I'd pay for the car as it sits, what it would likely take to get it together, issues to watch for, etc.
Sounds to me like you already know the answer to your question and just posted this for attention. Or you're looking to flip it on here and don't want anyone to know what you originally paid for it.

You ask if it's worth the trouble, but we don't know anything about your desire, skill level, or intentions for the car. The only thing we can answer is monetary value.

Bottom line, with 200k, it doesn't matter if that thing looks like it rolled off the showroom window, people will still gripe and lowball due to the mileage.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

All of those issues are things you would end up dealing with on a high mileage car anyway so you would end up spending the money regardless, and it's a "project". If it's a really good deal grab it up and start having fun. Yes it's worth it, miles are high but it's got a tough motor. Manual or Auto?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Firm
No photos, sorry. I promised the owner I wouldn't.
We are talking about a car right,,, or his naked wife???
Old 12-09-2015, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car sounds rough and has 200k miles so I would say its worth 2 grand.

If it were showroom 10/10 condition with 200k miles I might would pay 6-7 grand just because it is getting hard to find clean, undamaged, well kept cars.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Leave it, and find one worth while. No one will by that from you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 SS w/ SLP - Rough. Worth it?