Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

UK '99 Z28 A4 owner saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK '99 Z28 A4 owner saying hi

Hello Thought I'd put up a few pics of my new toy, a Pewter '99 UK-spec Z28 auto that I bought a few weeks ago. This is my first Yank, though I've loved them for a long time - I used to be mad into the Jap scene and had a manual MkIV Supra TT running about 380hp and a Toyota Aristo after that (Lexus GS300 with the same engine) and, as I'm the editor of a modified BMW magazine, I've spent the past (almost) 12 years driving around in BMs. I've currently got a 1 Series diesel hatchback as a company car and a 1998 540i on air-ride. But I've always wanted something American and after driving a C7 in Spain on a tire launch recently I came home and actively started looking for something to fill the hole while the 540i is off getting some work done for next year, and that's when I found this.

It's an official UK import, which means Euro-spec changes and standard equipment plus factory headlights set up for driving on the left, and has done just over 58k miles. A previous owner has de-Euro'd it on the outside it so I've got American-spec mirrors and rear bumper and an MPH speedo where all Euro and UK cars had Km/h, but my odo is still in km.

It's been lowered, has some kind of aftermarkey muffler welded in and is sitting on what appear to be the earlier 2-piece 18" Boyd Coddington Junkyard Dogs. I liked the fact that it had the three mods I would have wanted to do already done... But the suspension is way too soft so I want to change that, I don't like the wheels so want to change those and it deserves a better exhaust so I'm going to change that too... Oh and a previous owner decided to fit 2.41 gears so I've got a 3.73 swapped lined up as well (and lots more planned)
Attached Thumbnails UK '99 Z28 A4 owner saying hi-dsc03594-1.jpg   UK '99 Z28 A4 owner saying hi-dsc03597-1.jpg   UK '99 Z28 A4 owner saying hi-dsc03602-1.jpg   UK '99 Z28 A4 owner saying hi-dsc03605-1.jpg  
Old 12-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Welcome and nice ride !
Old 12-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like a clean car. I never really think about f-bodies on your side of the pond.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by UKCamaroChick
It's an official UK import, which means Euro-spec changes and standard equipment
Just curious, are there any mechanical/electronic changes to the car as part of the Euro-spec? Perhaps something relating to tuning and/or emissions equipment, etc.? I'm always interested in widening my knowledge of 4th gens, and one area where I know very little is in regards to the specific changes made to Euro export models.

And welcome to the site.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Just curious, are there any mechanical/electronic changes to the car as part of the Euro-spec? Perhaps something relating to tuning and/or emissions equipment, etc.? I'm always interested in widening my knowledge of 4th gens, and one area where I know very little is in regards to the specific changes made to Euro export models.

And welcome to the site.
VW handled the emissions tune
Old 12-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PeeKay
Welcome and nice ride !
Thank you

Originally Posted by Sike-o
Looks like a clean car. I never really think about f-bodies on your side of the pond.
Neither does anyone else living over here! I've had a lot of people ask me what it is!

And welcome to the site.
Thanks Apologies if you already know all this but to the best of my knowledge the Euro changes were:

Square folding mirrors
Rear bumper with foglights and larger number plate recess
Side repeaters
Trans Am seats
Monson stereo with tuning for European radio stations but no speed-sensitive volume and a slightly different layout on the head unit
Headlight height adjustment control in cabin
Km/h speedo & odo
Window glass and headlights are E-marked indicating European approval

UK cars received headlights setup for driving on the left

My car doesn't have the T-top holder in the trunk area and there are no holes so it looks like there was never one fitted. I do have two large bags with handles that carry no Chevrolet branding, but do look like they were designed for the job.

I have a UK first drive-style article from Evo magazine about the Z28 from 2000 (it got 3/5) where the power output is quoted as 284bhp (288hp) and 322lb ft of torque. There has been speculation as to whether the Euro cars were fitted with the V6 exhaust and/or have more cats, but nothing has been confirmed from the few threads I've found. I'm planning to dyno mine as is and am curious to see what it makes, and when it's next up on a ramp I will have a look at the exhaust system and get a few pics to show you, if you like?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Thanks for that list, it's very interesting and several of the changes are things of which I was not aware. This one in particular caught my eye:

Can you elaborate on how it works?

I have a UK first drive-style article from Evo magazine about the Z28 from 2000 (it got 3/5) where the power output is quoted as 284bhp (288hp) and 322lb ft of torque. There has been speculation as to whether the Euro cars were fitted with the V6 exhaust and/or have more cats, but nothing has been confirmed from the few threads I've found. I'm planning to dyno mine as is and am curious to see what it makes, and when it's next up on a ramp I will have a look at the exhaust system and get a few pics to show you, if you like?
The US spec engine rating was 305hp/335tq, but this has proven to be understated by the vast amount of stock dyno runs often showing at or near 300hp at the wheels (equaling more like 345-350hp at the engine, same as C5 Corvette.)

Would be interesting to see what a stock Euro-spec example would dyno. I know yours already has some kind of aftermarket muffler but it's still pretty close to stock. Something must've been changed for them to drop the rating by an additional ~20hp or so, but perhaps it's still underrated even with the changes.

Yes, please post up a picture of the exhaust system when you get a chance. The US spec system consisted of two cats (one per side) followed by a Y-pipe, into a 2.75" I-pipe leading to a single in/dual out crossflow muffler with 2.25" tail pipes.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that list, it's very interesting and several of the changes are things of which I was not aware. This one in particular caught my eye:

Quote:

Can you elaborate on how it works?
Sure - it's designed to allow you to compensate for heavy loads in the trunk and/or passengers in the back of your car. There's a little wheel on the centre console that allows you to lower the headlight height when weight in the back causes the rear to drop lower and subsequently the front of the car to raise up.

The US spec engine rating was 305hp/335tq, but this has proven to be understated by the vast amount of stock dyno runs often showing at or near 300hp at the wheels (equaling more like 345-350hp at the engine, same as C5 Corvette.)

Would be interesting to see what a stock Euro-spec example would dyno. I know yours already has some kind of aftermarket muffler but it's still pretty close to stock. Something must've been changed for them to drop the rating by an additional ~20hp or so, but perhaps it's still underrated even with the changes.

Yes, please post up a picture of the exhaust system when you get a chance. The US spec system consisted of two cats (one per side) followed by a Y-pipe, into a 2.75" I-pipe leading to a single in/dual out crossflow muffler with 2.25" tail pipes.
I am also interested to see what it makes. Hopefully it'll fall in the "correct" range Will gladly put some pics up - my car just has one down turned exhaust tip on the driver's side hidden behind the bumper.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

years ago a guy on this site posted pics of a 99 hugger orange UK car i found quite interesting. a good article from super chevy magazine may 2004 ls1 do's & donts is a good read. check if your air lid is open & smooth by flipping over. maybe do the egr free mod. cheers from across the pond.

Quick Reply: UK '99 Z28 A4 owner saying hi