Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

97 Z28 New clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Z28 New clutch installed

So I bought my 97 Z28 earlier this year and had been having lots of fun with it! The car has always had some RPM related vibration and the clutch has always chattered. Finally about 8 weeks ago the poop hit the fan and the pedal went solid after a thud and a clatter. After messing with it the pedal went to the floor and there was a pool of hydraulic fluid under the car! I ordered a new hydraulic assembly and Valeo clutch from Rock Auto. Once the car was pulled apart I realised that the previous owner had installed the throw out bearing wrong and it had disintegrated. And it didn't look like they had the flywheel resurfaced.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valeo

I took it in to have it resurfaced and forgot to snap a picture but there was a night and day difference. I bough the Valeo clutch kit on the recomendation of many forum posts. But it looks like it no longer comes with a Valeo name brand pressure plate. After a two day thrash in the shop I had the car torn down and reassembled. The new hydraulics where a PITA to install. My arms are too big to reach in and install the U bolt on the master cylinder and I had to have a friend take care of it. I lined the yellow paint dab on the pressure plate up with the white X on the flywheel.

I am happy to say the car is now vibration and chatter free! There is a little more pedal pressure but it engages smoothly. So much better!

Quick Reply: 97 Z28 New clutch installed