Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

eRod tach problem - no 4 cyl mode!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eRod tach problem - no 4 cyl mode!

I'd like to retain my '69 Camaro factory tach (it's probably a repro). The eRod ECM, since it's waste spark I think, fires twice as often.

They tell you to set the tach to 4-cyl mode, but I don't think I can do that with a factory style tach (there were no 4-cyl Camaros, and if there were, they'd have had their own tach part number anyway).

Is there a "box" or converter that's reasonably easy to set up that will massage the tach signal? It'd be nice if it also prevented me from needing to run a pullup resistor and all of that too!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4cyl have two sparks and signal the tach twice per revolution. 8cyl have 4 sparks and and signal the tach 4 times per revolution. GM LS gives 2 pulses instead of the 4 and your tach should read half the rpm you are actually spinning. People running Autometer tachs get and adapter from Autometer to hook to the LS, so you can likely use the same adapter to signal your older 4 pulse tach.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - I grabbed a Dakota Digital box that can convert to and from various pulses, so I should be set.

Quick Reply: eRod tach problem - no 4 cyl mode!