Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

New '70 z28 Owner | Rec for Brake Upgrades + Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '70 z28 Owner | Rec for Brake Upgrades + Throttle?

Hello just purchased a 1970 z28 because I've been very curious about what it's like to own an older car and 2nd gens have always been my favorite old american 'muscle' car. Anyways finally to drive it some and boy is it difficult.

BIggest thing, I do not feel comfortable driving non power or weak brakes around. The car has front disc. What would be reccomended for the quickest route to get decent brakes? Add a booster, upgrade front disc to c5 or get wilwood 4 piston, or convert rear to disc?

I'm guessing a booster would be the best option, are there any decent 'kits' for a brake booster conversion? I've looked around some but haven't found much unless it's most custom work.

Also second, the throttle pedal is hard af. It's either idling or ON, it's insanely heavy. I'm guessing that can get ttaken care of by lubing the joints, cable and maybe a lighter return spring?

Last edited by CowsGoMooo; 08-27-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Lighter return spring may help, also make sure it's not binding anywhere.

As for the brakes, a booster (power) brakes will help a lot. Dual piston calipers replace the stock singles and will also help, and as you suggested, bigger brakes will also help but may then require different wheels due to their size.

Comes down to your budget, use of the car, and experience to install.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eventually I want it to be a nice comfortable cruiser I'll used quite often.

Budget is whatever it will have to be, I'm thinking power brakes will be the best brake upgrade for the price. I'm guessing that will probably require new brake lines all around and a vacuum booster? Hoping my holley carb has a vacuum source to tap into at least.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

My buddy Dave has been down many roads of trial and error, but his site shows what works and with what.

Lots of reading here....... http://www.pozziracing.com/

Quick Reply: New '70 z28 Owner | Rec for Brake Upgrades + Throttle?