Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Transmission Reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Reinstall

I have a 2000 camaro 3.8l 5 speed. My clutch pedal started to stick to the floor. after inspection I was quite a bit of fluid leaking from the transmission. So I dropped the transmission to swap out the slave cylinder. For about a week now an hour a day roughly I have been trying to get this thing back in and cant for the life of me. The car is on the ground with jack stands so I dont have much room. I feel like I have tried everything. I can get it to slide in up to the point that there is only an inch (maybe less) of a gap and from there it will not go in. I've tried laying the transmission on my chest and working it in but nothing. My neighbor swears that I need to reset the torque converter. Does anyone have any ideas? I've followed the ideas on all the threads I could find with the exception on the longer bolts to pull the transmission the rest of the way in as that makes me a bit nervous.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have much experience with standard trannies but they don't have a tq converter. When I did my clutch/pressure plate in my talon I needed this to get things lined up. Not sure if that's your problem? Others with more experience will chime in
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Reinstall-image.jpeg  
Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

You need to re-align your clutch disc. After that, you need to have a buddy help you, because you normally can't get the trans lined up right while in any position to tell if it is lined up right (without a lot of experience). In addition, you may have to have a free hand to rotate the splines into alignment while simultaneously holding the full weight of the transmission in just the right spot. Also, you may have to rotate the transmission a lot in order to clear various obstacles on its way into full engagement. The longer bolt to pull it up method usually results in more destruction and headache than success. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. So I have to realign the clutch even though I didn't remove it? I'm off tomorrow so my buddy and I will be spending most of the day trying to get this back together. My neighbor also suggested I remove the starter and the two brackets for the transmission. Is this recommended? The starter doesn't look hard to get to but those brackets look like a pain.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you didn't remove the clutch you shouldn't have to realign in. What about the alignment dowel pins? If they are nicked up of corroded it makes It a bitch to mate the trans up

Quick Reply: Transmission Reinstall