5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th

Old 12-13-2016, 01:04 PM
  #1  
LS1Tech Editor
Thread Starter
 
Curated Content Editor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 363
Default 5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th

Curated Content Editor is offline  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 PM
  #2  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 35
Default

Ehhh I Agree on the live rear axel part, rest they are pretty much even to me personally. Worse one is visibility by far on both, especially if you have 5% tint -_-
Cesarbambam is offline  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:36 PM
  #3  
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 25,079
Default

I agree with all five points, though I will also be the first to admit that a direct comparison isn't really fair or accurate as there is a generation gap in-between. There should have been a 2003-2009 offering as the "5th gen"; plus the 2010 model doesn't really pick up where the 4th gen left off, it's basically a clean sheet of paper version of the nameplate, albeit with retro-influenced styling.

As for visibility, I've driven and owned many different types of cars and I find 4th gen visibility to be very good.
RPM WS6 is offline  
Old 12-13-2016, 02:36 PM
  #4  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
AnotherWs6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 2,470
Default

I agree with the T-top and live rear axle, but the rest is meh. I find the 5th gens to be pretty ugly in general, but most of the 4th gens are too. Just in a different way.
AnotherWs6 is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 01:30 AM
  #5  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
Zlow28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lower Mexifornia
Posts: 2,083
Default

the only advantage i care about are the t-tops.
Zlow28 is offline  
Old 12-20-2016, 09:47 AM
  #6  
LS1Tech Sponsor
 
RidetechJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 321
Default

Definitely a few advantages over the 5th gen. I just like the 4th gens better, personally.
__________________
Ridetech Tech Specialist
[email protected]
812.482.2932

RidetechJosh is online now  
Old 12-23-2016, 01:13 PM
  #7  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 37
Default

After having both.. a 5th gen 2010 and selling it after 3 years, and then getting a 4th gen.. which I drive now I have to say that I like the 4th gen more. The 5th gen is just a huge car with terrible visibility. It is only after having both that you realize this very important point about visibility. When a car robs you of visibility it robs you of driving pleasure. Think about it. If you put yourself in a box, with no windows and get to 100mph in 3 seconds it is fast.. but where is the enjoyment? This is what the 5th gen does to a certain extent. It robs you of pleasure because you cannot see and thus feel the driving experience. Take the 4th gen for example, take the t tops off and it is simply a glorious drive and feeling. Further more, do I really need to be pushing around 4000 plus pounds of machine every where I go? Why do they need to make the 5th gen so big, so heavy? I am sure that history will tell that the 5th gens will not be worth that much in the long run as classic cars due to this stupid design. After all look at what a 2010 is going for right now. they are around 15k. Mustangs are fetching more. This is mostly due to the fact that they are big bloated tanks you cannot see out of. The LS3 engine on the other hand is a monster. I love it. However, it got only about 11-13 miles per gallon at best while my ls1 now gets about 16-18 mpg. If chevy would drop the ls3 in a smaller car the size of my Gen4 and with visability like my Gen4 i would want one. Long live the Gen 4!
Attached Thumbnails 5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th-car2.jpg  
ls1_lover is offline  
Old 12-24-2016, 10:25 PM
  #8  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
blackandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,310
Default

I had a 2010 for a little more than a year and eventually came full circle to my 3rd f-body. The 4th gen is just more fun, a solid axle, t-tops and relatively cheap mods help with that.
blackandgold is offline  
Old 12-25-2016, 10:44 PM
  #9  
TECH Apprentice
 
Darth Cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 388
Default

Originally Posted by ls1_lover View Post
After having both.. a 5th gen 2010 and selling it after 3 years, and then getting a 4th gen.. which I drive now I have to say that I like the 4th gen more. The 5th gen is just a huge car with terrible visibility. It is only after having both that you realize this very important point about visibility. When a car robs you of visibility it robs you of driving pleasure. Think about it. If you put yourself in a box, with no windows and get to 100mph in 3 seconds it is fast.. but where is the enjoyment? This is what the 5th gen does to a certain extent. It robs you of pleasure because you cannot see and thus feel the driving experience. Take the 4th gen for example, take the t tops off and it is simply a glorious drive and feeling. Further more, do I really need to be pushing around 4000 plus pounds of machine every where I go? Why do they need to make the 5th gen so big, so heavy? I am sure that history will tell that the 5th gens will not be worth that much in the long run as classic cars due to this stupid design. After all look at what a 2010 is going for right now. they are around 15k. Mustangs are fetching more. This is mostly due to the fact that they are big bloated tanks you cannot see out of. The LS3 engine on the other hand is a monster. I love it. However, it got only about 11-13 miles per gallon at best while my ls1 now gets about 16-18 mpg. If chevy would drop the ls3 in a smaller car the size of my Gen4 and with visability like my Gen4 i would want one. Long live the Gen 4!
I agree. I only drove a 5th Gen for a bit. It did not impress me enough to want to trade up and have a car payment for a few years. I also do not like all the stupid, needless crap that is put on cars now-a-days. I think I will keep my 4th Gen until either it or I turn to dust.
Darth Cypher is offline  
Old 12-27-2016, 11:24 AM
  #10  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher View Post
I agree. I only drove a 5th Gen for a bit. It did not impress me enough to want to trade up and have a car payment for a few years. I also do not like all the stupid, needless crap that is put on cars now-a-days. I think I will keep my 4th Gen until either it or I turn to dust.

AMEN!. One of my favorite things about my 4th Gen is that IT HAS NO TRACTION CONTROL. Mine was built without it. I used to hate the fact that on the stock 5th gen, I had to press the traction controll button and hold it for 7 seconds to get all that stuff turned off so I can really enjoy the car. The problem was that for me, most of the time the URGE to get on it would come as I see a nice turn for example. I dont have 7 seconds every time before I see that corner that I like to hit.


I just wish I could get a warrenty for this 4th gen car. I have no peace of mind with this machine. If something breaks it is going to be expensive and all out of pocket. With 90k on the clock it will probably be impossible to get an extended warrenty. With a new car I have a warrenty but also a Huge Monthly payment. I am going to hope for the best and love every minute of driving it.


I went out to drive a New Mustang a few days ago just for this reason. They have certified used fords with great warrenties. The mustang.. well that Coyote engine is powerful. The Stang is a very fast, slippery car. I mean you can light up the tires very easy and the back end slides around. There is not a whole lot of low end torque like the LS1 has which I really like. The interior of the mustang is ok to poor. The more cars I get in and out of the more I realize the design of the 4th gen is simply almost perfect. The sloping nature of the car is fabricated right into the driving position and feels very organic. The 4th Gen feels less like a "hot rod" and more like a corvette. I would not want to move out of this 4th gen into a Mustang. I would miss my 4th gen.
ls1_lover is offline  
Old 12-27-2016, 03:19 PM
  #11  
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 25,079
Default

Originally Posted by ls1_lover View Post
I just wish I could get a warrenty for this 4th gen car. I have no peace of mind with this machine. If something breaks it is going to be expensive and all out of pocket......With a new car I have a warrenty but also a Huge Monthly payment.
Pay big money up front for a new car/new car payment, or face the possibility of repairs on a much cheaper car with which to start. That is always the trade-off, so really it's a matter of picking the option you prefer - but there is no free lunch either way.

Originally Posted by ls1_lover View Post
The more cars I get in and out of the more I realize the design of the 4th gen is simply almost perfect. The sloping nature of the car is fabricated right into the driving position and feels very organic. The 4th Gen feels less like a "hot rod" and more like a corvette.
I agree completely. The 5th gen Camaro has a vastly inferior driving and seating position as compared to the 4th gen. 4th gens fit me like a glove, and that's not something I can say about newer Camaros.
RPM WS6 is offline  
Old 12-27-2016, 11:03 PM
  #12  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 37
Default

The Fourth-Generation Camaro Was the Best Camaro
It was the last original Camaro Chevy made, and it had so much potential.


http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...e-best-camaro/
ls1_lover is offline  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:30 AM
  #13  
TECH Apprentice
 
Darth Cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 388
Default

Originally Posted by ls1_lover View Post
AMEN!. One of my favorite things about my 4th Gen is that IT HAS NO TRACTION CONTROL. Mine was built without it. I used to hate the fact that on the stock 5th gen, I had to press the traction controll button and hold it for 7 seconds to get all that stuff turned off so I can really enjoy the car. The problem was that for me, most of the time the URGE to get on it would come as I see a nice turn for example. I dont have 7 seconds every time before I see that corner that I like to hit.


I just wish I could get a warrenty for this 4th gen car. I have no peace of mind with this machine. If something breaks it is going to be expensive and all out of pocket. With 90k on the clock it will probably be impossible to get an extended warrenty. With a new car I have a warrenty but also a Huge Monthly payment. I am going to hope for the best and love every minute of driving it.


I went out to drive a New Mustang a few days ago just for this reason. They have certified used fords with great warrenties. The mustang.. well that Coyote engine is powerful. The Stang is a very fast, slippery car. I mean you can light up the tires very easy and the back end slides around. There is not a whole lot of low end torque like the LS1 has which I really like. The interior of the mustang is ok to poor. The more cars I get in and out of the more I realize the design of the 4th gen is simply almost perfect. The sloping nature of the car is fabricated right into the driving position and feels very organic. The 4th Gen feels less like a "hot rod" and more like a corvette. I would not want to move out of this 4th gen into a Mustang. I would miss my 4th gen.
My 4th Gen has ASR which is a sort of traction control. Mine just deactivates with a press of the switch and it deactivates right then. It's like a light switch. That's crazy that one has to hold down the button to deactivate it. I swear does the thing boot up and shut down like a damn computer? I hate how cars and computers are integrating more and more.

I hear you about the new car with warranty versus paid off car with maintenance issues. I bought my 4th Gen new and am the sole owner. I am trying to keep up with routine maintenance as well as some more in depth maintenance. Last winter I refreshed my front end and replaced all the shocks and springs. It was pricey but it should be good for another 60k miles and beyond. My list keeps growing but my car still runs strong.

Also, I know this has been beat to death but the vision in the 5th Gens is terrible. I know owners say "you get used to it" with the side mirrors or whatever. Sorry, I just can't do that. I need to see like I can with just about any other car out there. I was gritting my teeth backing out of a parking spot in a 5th Gen.
Darth Cypher is offline  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:58 PM
  #14  
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
Fast350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 165
Default

The 4th gen camaro has more of a sleek sports car look and size compared to the 5th gen camaro. They made the 5th gen camaro too large and bulky compared to any previous generation camaro.
Fast350Z is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 PM
  #15  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 753
Default

I currently own both as you can see in the sig and even though i love my 5th gen and the ls3 its just not as cool to me as the 4th gen. The link in the original post didnt lod for me but in my opinion the 4th gen is more of the all around car that can make anyone happy where as the 5th gen lags in some peoples interests. I ended up with the 1LE 5th gen so it does handle and steer better than my 4th gens but a regular 5th gen isnt that far apart from a 4th in that aspect. 5th gens biggest down fall for me was its weight and the fact that they didnt offer the ls7 in it like gm originally had thought about doing but i love them both in different ways.
Docrocket1967 is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:46 PM
  #16  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 37
Default

Great reply Docrocket. I also had the gen 5 and yea. the thing that bothered me the most really is the size and weight and the bad bad bad vision. Driving the Fourth gen with the t tops off really is a great wide open experience. However..... Just today, I had to order a new Tranny. the old one was just not quite shifting how I wanted. It sucked. So I messed around with the line pressure.. got some nice firm shifts and was loving it. The clutches for 3 and 4 wont grab. I cant go over 30 mph now. My hope, is that I get this new transmission and it shifts perfectly. I get a good tune and really enjoy this car.
ls1_lover is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:53 PM
  #17  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 37
Default

holy ****. I just saw your sig. YOu have 7 cars? Like a car farm? How do you do that?
ls1_lover is offline  
Old 02-10-2017, 09:48 PM
  #18  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 753
Default

Originally Posted by ls1_lover View Post
holy ****. I just saw your sig. YOu have 7 cars? Like a car farm? How do you do that?
I forgot to even mention the issues with the blind spots, you are spot on about the 5th gen in comparison to the 4th gen. Where did you order your transmission from?
Docrocket1967 is offline  
Old 02-11-2017, 03:04 AM
  #19  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (3)
 
HappySalesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 843
Default

Am I the only one that the link to the article doesn't work for?
HappySalesman is offline  
Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 AM
  #20  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Docrocket1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 753
Default

Originally Posted by HappySalesman View Post
Am I the only one that the link to the article doesn't work for?
No i couldnt get it to load either
Docrocket1967 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: