Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Ideas for Improvement of F bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ideas for Improvement of F bodies

Hey guys, like the title states, I'm looking for some input. A friend and I both own F body Camaros, and we have to do a senior project in order to graduate from school with a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. He and I were discussing possible ideas, and we came to the conclusion that we wanted to design and build something useful to us. At first, we discussed making a Watt's link, or subframe connectors, or even a tubular K-member for our cars. Then, we both agreed that we should try to make something that has not been done before.

This is where you guys come in. I figured that I might be able to find some ideas on forums, and actually design (and possibly sell) something that is not already widely available in the F body community. It does not have to be a suspension component! It could be a tool, under-hood component, etc. Just something that is not going to be too complicated to research and design in two semesters. You can send a private message if you don't feel like publicly sharing your ideas. I would like to find an idea and start doing some research by late July or early August.

Thanks everybody!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an Independent Rear Suspension Bolt on Kit?... AWD Camaro?... Active Aereo kit? there are plenty of stuff a mechanical Engineering can do with an F body.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SesiomSummers
an Independent Rear Suspension Bolt on Kit?... AWD Camaro?... Active Aereo kit? there are plenty of stuff a mechanical Engineering can do with an F body.
Independent rear suspension was an idea that I had pondered. Time is definitely the issue in that case. I am sure it could be done, but that is a lot of involvement. The Aero kit is a good idea that I had not thought of.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bolt on adjustable electric power steering kit.
Bolt on air jack system for speed bump clearance that works with normal suspensions.
Bolt on Carbon/Kevlar frame and lexan window rear deck lid that doesn't leak and saves a ton of weight.
Don't think they are still making those hub adapters anymore, so that could be a help.
That's all I've got for now.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Bolt on adjustable electric power steering kit.
Bolt on air jack system for speed bump clearance that works with normal suspensions.
Bolt on Carbon/Kevlar frame and lexan window rear deck lid that doesn't leak and saves a ton of weight.
Don't think they are still making those hub adapters anymore, so that could be a help.
That's all I've got for now.
I like the air jack idea. Could you elaborate on the hub adapters you're talking about? Not sure I know what you mean.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ght-shirt.html
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could design and build some new knuckles that allow wider front tires to match the back and a much better hub design. Maybe add a way to adjust turn radius so it could be used for street, track, or drifting.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- Dished C5 Z06 rims
- I like the electric water pump/ps pump idea and other ideas listed above
​​​​​​- a steering wheel that a looks better than Factory but still has an airbag in it
- has a targa top already been done?
- a low low profile bottle jack design where you could place the 4 jacks underneath 4 spots on the car (all connected by air and/or hydraulic hoses) and press a button to lift the car in the air a foot or two, with safety features and some kind of long tool that can reach/place the jacks where they need to be. A crosshairs-style laser to help alignment of the jacks with the car would be sweet too. I would buy that in a heartbeat!
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What about some kind of brace for the back side of the car after the axle to stop the 1/4 pannels from dimpling? SFC's do NOT help this area, they don't brace that far back so anything that goes on back there is all on its own.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

A air box that would hold a big air filter and provide optimum inlet temperatures for power or mileage... Make it active so it tunes itself to the demand on the engine. If you could figure out something that would work with some of the pictured turbo setups that would be cool, do a finite element on the air flow and mold the box around all the junk under the hood. .

I used to help review projects, a nice Finite element section always made the profs happy..

A stand alone shift controller to replace the one in the 6L80/6L90 series automatic transmissions would be gold..

Keep the project to a easy to build prototype and a good documentation package to insure success..

When I used to help students on their projects over scoping what they could get done in a year was the #1 cause of summer session attendance..
Old 03-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
A air box that would hold a big air filter and provide optimum inlet temperatures for power or mileage... Make it active so it tunes itself to the demand on the engine. If you could figure out something that would work with some of the pictured turbo setups that would be cool, do a finite element on the air flow and mold the box around all the junk under the hood. .

I used to help review projects, a nice Finite element section always made the profs happy..

A stand alone shift controller to replace the one in the 6L80/6L90 series automatic transmissions would be gold..

Keep the project to a easy to build prototype and a good documentation package to insure success..

When I used to help students on their projects over scoping what they could get done in a year was the #1 cause of summer session attendance..
Thank you for that information! That's why I'm definitely trying to keep it simple. An air box is a great idea, and possibly something that would work well for the project. I also like the idea mentioned above about dimpling quarter panels, but my fear is that there won't be a good place to bolt it down to. I'm mainly trying to stick with some sort of bolt-on parts, or something that can be easily installed.

I'd like to thank everybody for their ideas so far. Even though a lot of them are not going to be very attainable with the amount of time I'll have, they are definitely helping my friend and I brainstorm.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

how about a panel with a trap door to access the fuel tank from the top. I can provide a link if you are unfamiliar with this mod. Its something I have been trying to tackle but not quite figured out a suitable part other than just cutting a metal plate.

or a select-able vats bypass. something you put inline put provides the correct resistance for all available keys based off pid switches?? Not applicable to everyone these days since hp tuners can turn off the fuel portion in the ecm.

another would be a new DRL module that would allow the use of switchback LED's
Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just thought of something else, bolt in brackets to mount these:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1823130-trans-am-led-fog-light-install-morimoto-knockoffs.html

Also some rubber bumpstops for the rear that bolt right in, no one makes a true bolt in style. Test various lengths and types of rubber for best comfort.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Bumpstops and the trap door panel were actually on my list of items when I started out! I think my friend and I have actually narrowed it down to an idea. After showing him the stuff that you guys have come up with, we sat down and started branching off of each idea into something similar. We aren't planning on doing anything with electronics in the car though. That is something I'm mostly unfamiliar with, and it probably won't be considered the right type of project for a mechanical engineering student.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Teching In

I honestly feel like 90% of the ideas thrown out here that people say nobody has done, have actually already been done.

I.e the comment on nobody making 100% bolt on bump stops. Which is crazy because energy suspension jeep bump stops (the ones also that are meant for fbody's) are 100% bolt up with no problems or modifications.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowredss
I honestly feel like 90% of the ideas thrown out here that people say nobody has done, have actually already been done.

I.e the comment on nobody making 100% bolt on bump stops. Which is crazy because energy suspension jeep bump stops (the ones also that are meant for fbody's) are 100% bolt up with no problems or modifications.
You might want to read things over again. I said rubber bumpstops, rubber will ride significantly better than polyurethane, I don't even want those on my car. Also those require either a spacer (which you lose travel with) or modification to fit, by themselves they are not direct bolt in.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

How about a re-engineering 7.5 rear to sustain 400rwhp or an intermediate option aftermarket rear that doesn't cost $3k
Old 04-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
How about a re-engineering 7.5 rear to sustain 400rwhp or an intermediate option aftermarket rear that doesn't cost $3k
That was another thing that my buddy and I joked about doing. Not saying it can't be done, but I think it would take us too long to develop a good product in the short amount of time we have.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The directions for the UMI/Afco coilovers say to run a rubber bump stop, so I ordered the ones they recommended. Have them with some spacers now, but just like the Energy Suspension ones it doesn't take any time to make them bold straight on.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

a dashboard that wont crack when you stare at it hard enough. Or even some lightweight seats that wont cost as much as the car itself.

I cant really think of anything useful that hasnt been done at some point

Quick Reply: Ideas for Improvement of F bodies