Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

84 iroc z28 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 iroc z28 build

I currently have a 700R4 transmission and a 383 stroker motor that's been face decked and bored out. I don't know much else about the motor until I pull it apart. I'm debating on doing a ls3 swap for a few reasons. I'm worried about the block I have since it's only the 10% nickel and rated for max 500-600hp. My only issue with the swap is going to be the transmission. I'm not sure if it could handle much more than that. Just curious on thoughts and opinions of others on here.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the block so much unless you plan on crazy power or RPM's. Now that 700 might be a different story. Depends on who built it and what's been done to it, but we kind of need more details.

I'd worry about the trans, axle etc before I'd worry about the block integrity. It's not a 302. I've built many sbc engines, most as semi budget engines that ended up in the 380-420rwhp range. All on stock blocks. Not one block failure. Hell, alot of the less racy ones were just 2 bolt ones at that.

Is '84 a typo? Irocs didn't start until 85.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:25 PM

No I assumed it was an iroc since it was a z28 so that's just a gap in my knowledge , so thats my bad. As far as the hp im going to shoot for 600-800hp. The trans I'm going to have rebuilt by a family friend who retired from gm and used to build these very same transmissions. it's already got the hardened case. But imma have hardened pin and gears installed along with a modest shift kit. Nothing to hard on the trans. As far as the motor i dont have much info on it yet, i was told it was face decked and bored out. Imma mic it to find out the bore. I plan on going with a tp fuel injection and get a chip installed to tune it down for city driving if we can get that kind of hp.

Quick Reply: 84 iroc z28 build