Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

enging mounts the same for V6 and V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enging mounts the same for V6 and V8

in the 4th gen cars are the engine mounts in the V6 cars the same as a V8?

reason I ask is I am thinking about trying to find a cheap v6 car that I can gut and make just a straight up drag car out of with a carbed SBC.
I have had mine to the track a few times and my whole family and kids are loving the racing. but I don't want to tear my car up since it is a pretty clean lower mileage car that I enjoy driving a lot.

was just curious if I would have any major fab work to do with trying to put in an older carbed SMC in a newer style car like the 4th gens
Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

k member is different between the v6 and v8 models so you cant just swap the engine, that said it wouldnt be a big deal at all to swap K members if you are swapping motors anyway. I got no clue about the sbc though
Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Ok. so with that known I checked around and got on Midwest Chassis website and they have a K member that has LT1 motor stands. wouldn't those be the same as an older SBC

ok never mind with some more looking UMI Performance offers a K-member with SBC/BBC mounts on it
Old 08-21-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LT1 and SBC use the same engine mounts in a 4th gen, so you can just use a 93-97 LT1 k-member if you plan on an SBC.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm not sure why you would want to use an SBC when LM7's, LS1's, LS6's and LQ4's are so common. There used to be a massive cost difference between making power in one vs. the other, but last I looked, it wasn't that bad anymore.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
I'm not sure why you would want to use an SBC when LM7's, LS1's, LS6's and LQ4's are so common. There used to be a massive cost difference between making power in one vs. the other, but last I looked, it wasn't that bad anymore.

don't get me wrong I love the LS motors and they make great power. im just not a comfortable with them yet and know the ins and outs of them as the old SBC/BBC motors.
right now just kind of looking for ideas really.
im planning on building just a strictly a race car out of a 4th gen where I can just strip the interior cut what I don't need and so on.
just not sure what all will need to be left to make a LS run wireing and computer wise and so on. that is what im a little sketchy on
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeDowning
don't get me wrong I love the LS motors and they make great power. im just not a comfortable with them yet and know the ins and outs of them as the old SBC/BBC motors.
right now just kind of looking for ideas really.
im planning on building just a strictly a race car out of a 4th gen where I can just strip the interior cut what I don't need and so on.
just not sure what all will need to be left to make a LS run wireing and computer wise and so on. that is what im a little sketchy on
You just need to leave the PCM and the engine harness. These cars are pretty simple. There isn't allot of fluff in them or under the hood. You can cut the A/C hardware, but that's not going to leave a lot of unused connectors off the harness. There is some wiring that goes into the dash through the firewall, but not much. Fuel injection like the TPI system on the L98 (350 SBC) is much more complicated than the LS engines are.

If you've got a low mile car that's in good shape, it's a shame to see those cut up for this purpose. There are plenty of rollers out there that are cheap and look decent cosmetically (on the outside) that you could cut up that have the K-member in them that you need. You often find K-members for not a whole lot less than the cost of the rollers. $400-$500 isn't that much over the cost of a $100 or $150 K-member when your talking about the budget of a race car build. Rollers that cheap usually have **** interiors, which you are cutting out anyway. Some of the other parts like the A/C hardware and impact bars under the bumper covers can be sold off to make up the cost of buying the roller as well.

Just my $0.02.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
You just need to leave the PCM and the engine harness. These cars are pretty simple. There isn't allot of fluff in them or under the hood. You can cut the A/C hardware, but that's not going to leave a lot of unused connectors off the harness. There is some wiring that goes into the dash through the firewall, but not much. Fuel injection like the TPI system on the L98 (350 SBC) is much more complicated than the LS engines are.

If you've got a low mile car that's in good shape, it's a shame to see those cut up for this purpose. There are plenty of rollers out there that are cheap and look decent cosmetically (on the outside) that you could cut up that have the K-member in them that you need. You often find K-members for not a whole lot less than the cost of the rollers. $400-$500 isn't that much over the cost of a $100 or $150 K-member when your talking about the budget of a race car build. Rollers that cheap usually have **** interiors, which you are cutting out anyway. Some of the other parts like the A/C hardware and impact bars under the bumper covers can be sold off to make up the cost of buying the roller as well.

Just my $0.02.
what I had planned is I found a guy that has a 01 with a v6 and manual trans. hes saying something is wrong with the engine and it wont run right. its a full complete car and he wants $400 for the whole thing.
my plan was to get rid of the V6 sell what parts I could interior, trans, and so on gut the car, put a Tubular K-member in and run a SBC just to drag race it.
I can see where the LQ4 LS1 and so on are more readily available than they used to be but the SBC stuff around here is everywhere and for me easier to get hold of and work on. that was really the only reason.
well that and not to be tearing up my car that I have now at the strip
Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Just an FYI, if you go through with your plan and pick up a used LT1 k member, the SBC will only fit/use the two rear most mounts on the SBC block, the LT1 has slightly different bolt configuration. You'll need the LT1 mounts and inserts, cut the cowl area some, but other than that you're good to go. I'm in the middle of doing a Lt1 to SBC swap I can post up pictures and share anything I've run into during the swap as well.

Quick Reply: enging mounts the same for V6 and V8