Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 Camaro 3.8L, revs don't seem responsive on downshift.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro 3.8L, revs don't seem responsive on downshift.

My 02 Camaro is my commuter car, 5 speed with 125k on the clock. Drives fine outside of my question.

I always blip the throttle on a downshift for a smooth shift, other cars I have owned/driven, a quick blip gives a nice healthy rev.

However, a similar blip on this car and it's like I get too little rev for what I would consider a quick healthy blip

First I thought throttle cable slack but the car is ETC, so no throttle cable to check so I am kind of at a loss.

I have nice responsive pulls when I accelerate while driving through the gears.

Cleaning the MAF sensor tomorrow, I have new ngk iridium plugs and msd wires ready to go and the car has a new air filter. Fuel filter is in route.

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to drive by wire, I hate driving the v6 Camaros with it. Very poor throttle response. The Camaro v6 has poorest system I've ever seen.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Welcome to drive by wire, I hate driving the v6 Camaros with it. Very poor throttle response. The Camaro v6 has poorest system I've ever seen.
Thanks for the response, it's my commuter so I will just learn to deal. It is however annoying on downshifts and rev matching
Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought a very low mileage 02 Firebird v6, I sold it within a month. I just couldn't deal with the DBW, it made driving the car a chore in all situations. The Bosch system used is archaic, the pedal assembly mounted under the dash is a JOKE. Its huge HEAVY and has 2 huge radial springs which makes it very hard to depress, this just adds to the vague feel of the system. Who ever designed it was a novice at best. Real DBW systems are nothing like this and use a good pedal system that is responsive and light weight. I was lucky to find a 98 Camaro v6, 98 didn't use DBW.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro 3.8L, revs don't seem responsive on downshift.