Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

For anyone considering the new 3" 1967-69 F-body Flowmaster system, inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:18 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default For anyone considering the new 3" 1967-69 F-body Flowmaster system, inside!

I had the opportunity to test one on my 70 Nova for a few reasons-

1-the front and rear subframes on 67-69 F-bodies and 68-74 X-bodies (Nova, Tempest, Apollo, Omega) are very similar.

2-Flowmaster hadn't tested one yet on one, so I got to be the guinea pig

With a few minor differences aside (mounting points on F-body frame and floorpan were different and we had to slightly modify the H-pipe), the system went on relatively easy. It took about 4 hours, and that's taking time to remove the old exhaust and stop numerous times for pictures and measurements so Flowmaster would know where/what to change.

Now, for the good news. My car's times are posted below, and I had a 3" system on the car with flowmaster delta-flow 2 chamber 40 series and dumps. It's a nice system but somewhat loud with the turn-downs. I knew adding the tailpipes and hangers would add some weight (about 35 lbs) but I was hoping the performance of the car wouldn't be diminished!

Well we dyno'd the car before and after the install, and the results?
a whopping .9 hp loss and a 1 ft/lb torque increase! The graph actually had less of a drop-off in power over my old system after the peak hp reading all the way to 6500 rpm.

Driving the car around town last night was much nicer! The tailpipes quieted down the interior noise a bunch, I like their new super 40 series mufflers the kit employs, and they actually sound slightly stealther than my old exhaust (except WOT is about the same, on the dyno anyways). Hoepfully I'll be at the track next week to see what et/mph I'll lose, but based of the dyno graph and the added weight, I'd say maybe a 1/2 tenth and a little mph should be all.

I'll have pictures on my webshots page by the end of next week.

Derek
Old 07-06-2004, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

intereasting. you would think that the tail pipes would take away more.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:03 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, I was pleasantly surprised! Hopefully I'll be taking the Nova to the track tomorrow to see what the added 35 lbs and the new system does in the 1/4.

Some of the install and the finished system pictures are now up on my Webshots page, click the link in my sig....

Derek

Quick Reply: For anyone considering the new 3" 1967-69 F-body Flowmaster system, inside!