Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

5th gen v6 into 4th gen possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaBird22
A standard rebuild where I live is 1500 to 1800.
Are you sure that doesn't include the cost to remove/rebuild/replace?
That seems really high.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

My car is an 01 v6 with over 165000 miles on it. Tranny went out and now im either gonna have to replace the tranny for 1500-1800 dollars or swap this super 6 camaro engine in. I can't afford an ls1 nor do I want one for this car. It's a convertible. I don't want a chit ton of power because the vert makes the frame more likely to twist.
Lol I don't even know what to say to this
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not sure where you live in Alabama but did you look at craigslist ? There are several people advertising. This ad says $300 out the door for some.
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/ao...500086440.html
Old 02-24-2018, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Are you sure that doesn't include the cost to remove/rebuild/replace?
That seems really high.
Everyone I called (I live in mobile Alabama.) told me that they wouldn't rebuild the trans unless I brought the whole car in. Something about legal stuff. They want me to bring the car in and pull the trans, rebuild it and put it back on.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Probably best to just not say anything buddy.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Everyone I called (I live in mobile Alabama.) told me that they wouldn't rebuild the trans unless I brought the whole car in. Something about legal stuff. They want me to bring the car in and pull the trans, rebuild it and put it back on.
Don't call chain shops many don't rebuild in house they keep stock on hand. You may have to make the drive to another city or ship it to them. Driving 3-4 hundred miles to save $1,000 seems reasonable, Either that or find one in a car that you can test before buying.

I'm sure there has to be mechanics around there that can rebuild it for you.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Trust me, I’ve read a few posts on here and just shook my head lol
That’s so they can charge you more to remove the trans and reinstall it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Probably best to just not say anything buddy.
Well **** it I figured out what to say. If you really think that a stock Ls1 is going to twist the frame you are a complete idiot. You seem like the kind of person that should be driving a corolla not an fbody.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Well **** it I figured out what to say. If you really think that a stock Ls1 is going to twist the frame you are a complete idiot. You seem like the kind of person that should be driving a corolla not an fbody.
All I have to say to you is that you seem like you might have some issues to work out long term. But it's not very nice to take you're self esteem issues out on others just because you don't understand their complete story or plan. If I were to drop an ls in it, I would eat me up not to mod the hell out of it, and I don't want it being a convertible to limit me in how much hp I can put into it. But just so you know, I know more about cars, especially f-body's, than you know about your own dick. Which I imagine is extremely small anyways.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Ok, let's try to keep this on track. Disagreement is OK, offering contrary advice or opposing opinions is also OK when solicited or otherwise appropriate. But there's no need for name calling. For the record, I absolutely agree that the OP is overthinking the convertible aspect (this is not that much of an issue unless you're planning a max effort race car perhaps), but the hostility has gone too far already. Let's not escalate things further.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Ok, let's try to keep this on track. Disagreement is OK, offering contrary advice or opposing opinions is also OK when solicited or otherwise appropriate. But there's no need for name calling. For the record, I absolutely agree that the OP is overthinking the convertible aspect (this is not that much of an issue unless you're planning a max effort race car perhaps), but the hostility has gone too far already. Let's not escalate things further.

Thanks.
Agreed.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While the newer V6 motor is waaayyyy better than what you have now (from ~200hp in your 01 to 320+!), it is also a very uncommon swap so will likely be more difficult, more expensive, run in to more snags, and definitely give less return on investment then swapping to a motor that was actually offered in that vehicle. Also, while it makes similar HP as an LS1, that v6 makes a LOT less Torque (278 vs 340) and wont be nearly as quick in the same car.

Ls1 would be the cheapest and easiest swap route to take to get you running again besides just throwing a junkyard trans in to replace the broken one you have now.

As to repairing your trans, what you want to ask for is a "bench rebuild", which will cut that quoted price at least in half by not charging removal and installation.