Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil leak

Where does this oil leak look like it's coming from? I thought the leak was coming from the oil pressure switch and planned on changing that when I put on my ls6 intake, now I'm not so sure that was the cause.... Could be valve cover gaskets? Anything else I should check while in here?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more behind the power steering, so maybe something there or maybe front seal? Look under it and see where there is more oil.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be... The whole thing engine is covered. I got the car last year so who knows how long it's been leaking.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Oil Leaks

Originally Posted by mmm88ta
Could be... The whole thing engine is covered. I got the car last year so who knows how long it's been leaking.
I feel your pain when locating oil leaks. Acquired my second 2002 SS several months ago and the underneath pan and mechanicals were caked with dirt and oil leakage. I found out the best way to detect where all it was coming from was a thorough cleaning of everything. Once free of dirt and oil then you can usually much easier see the points of fluids running down. I found out that the transmission, (auto), was the main culprit. It had leaks from rear tail-shaft, pan, front seal, pump, dipstick and coolant lines from radiator. Another leakage, that turned out not to be oil but coolant, was coming from the drain petcock on the bottom of radiator. Even when tight the inner rubber seal will allow dripage to be blown back through engine compartment over oil pan and drip down from bell housing. BTW, this is a $4.00 part and most often overlooked when flushing out cooling system. Your leaking can be traveling through nooks and crannies before surfacing. Also don't forget you have coolant lines running from upper radiator hose to power steering assembly. I always visualize the GM Engineers laughing their heads off when designing the built in obsolescence of the impossible to locate and reinstall rubber hosing and seals. I am still trying to find the best method of replacing the spark plugs. Am going to open a new thread with that question if the answer isn't already in the saved forums.