Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2000 Z28 interchange

Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Z28 interchange

Hi I'm looking to get some feedback to see where I am with an old project I started a few years ago. I had a 2000 Z28 that needed the rear main seal replaced so we took it down and and rebuilt the engine but before we got it back into the car the house sold and I no longer had room for the car. I had someone buy the body. But... I kept the engine, transmission, torque converter, driveshaft, ecu, wiring harness, intake, alternator. Prior to selling the body I bought new upper lower control arms, starter, sway bar, pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, plugs, wires, struts, mufflers.... I'm sure the list goes on. I'm rebuilding the transmission in the garage now. Long story short I know this combination of parts will work in a 1998-2002 Z28 camaro, or V8 Firebird of the same year, but will it work in a v6 car? What about an older 80-97 Camaro/firebird? what else would I need?

I don't expect someone else to do my homework for me, but if you've seen or done a swap before, can point me in the right directions or have any tips or thoughts it would be greatly appreciated. Thank YOU!
Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this article on the net maybe someone else can find it useful as well

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cam...ne-126758.html
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It will easily swap into a '98-'02 v6 fbody. You'll need the LS1 k-member to bolt in the LS1. You'll have to adjust for any year to year wiring differences. One thing you'll need is to run an additional ignition feed from the fuse block to the chassis harness connection for the coils/injectors (V8 car uses two wires, V6 car uses one). You'll also need to install a new fuel pump and convert the feed & return fuel system to feed only. See image in thread linked below.

It will swap into a '93-'97 v6/v8 car with a little more effort. Same deal with the k-member being needed and a new fuel pump. There will be more wiring differences to deal with (not too difficult with a wiring diagram, organization, and patience.

You'll need a conversion kit with engine mounts and transmission cross member to swap into a '82-'92 fbody.

Here is a thread that my friend created when I swapped an LS1 into his '99 v6 Firebird:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html

Search this Thread