Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1997 RS supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 RS supercharged

Yeah... I did it. Just finished up this weekend, have a few little things left to do before I get better pictures and videos, but thought I'd share.

Long story short: L67 top swap, kept everything functional, the EGR, EVAP, BCS, A/C, etc. Car is a manual with T-tops, my summer DD. I've retrofitted D2S 3.0 square HID housings with the help of my 3D printer, '98+ brake upgrade, modified the '97 wiper arms to accept a traditional J-hook wipers, and a few other little things.

I have my own TIG and other fabrication tools, my own powdercoating setup, as well as the donor motor and a plethora of extra parts, so the cost for me to do this was ~$350 total. Most of that was new gaskets. Raw material for the blower case modifications came from a local metals recycler for about $10 total. The supercharger case came from a '97 Bonneville SSEi, I used a 4.0" ZZP offset pulley to start with (until we get some baseline scan data for further tuning), added one idler to the belt routing and changed the belt path to get as much wrap as possible. Existing mods that were left untouched are headers, Intense S1X NA cam, Blue LS valve springs and LS style retainers, roller timing set, and maintained the fenderwell intake. Torque arm is divorced from the transmission tail housing.

I've got a writeup on another forum that details the little things I ran into that aren't commonly discussed with the few examples of the L67 swap or top-swapped cars out there. The biggest misconception is around the cost to do this - The aluminum welding is the biggest hurdle, but you could just as well braze this with alumiweld. The major bits aside from gaskets were the accelerator cable I built (courtesy of components from junkyards, McMaster-Carr, and Venhill USA) and the EGR tube. In all, I probably spend two weekends on the blower case and other fabricating (added idler pulley, ICM mount, etc), and one weekend powdercoating and putting everything back together.

1997 RS supercharged-f4v0zjw.jpg

1997 RS supercharged-nsggswf.jpg

1997 RS supercharged-3lsdjdr.jpg

https://imgur.com/Z4K4FUH

https://imgur.com/APoBJZb
Old 10-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts