Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Special model camaro? F1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Special model camaro? F1?

Anyone ever heard of this model?

Or did he pull the ultimate fbody hoax ever?

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...756806812.html
Old 12-04-2018, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

That is a Z28 with owner-installed "F1" lipstick. The window sticker shows it was delivered w/ 245 width 16" rims / tires, so not even an SS. Front brake calipers say "Corvette".
Old 12-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Wonder if that was some kind of dealer based add on.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

This car is absolutely not a factory creation, but I wouldn't exactly call it a hoax either. This F1 "package" was available as a dealer add-on and/or owner add-on parts through GMPP for some of the 4th gen years (dates back further than just the LS1 cars).

No clue if the dealer did this package or the guy just ordered all the parts himself, but some items certainly wouldn't have been part of the package in '99 - such as the Blackwing lid (which hadn't even been released by SLP for Firehawk or SS yet in 1999, therefore didn't exist when this car was originally delivered and must've been added later), and the STB which is clearly aftermarket (as that particular version was never an SLP or GM piece). Interestingly, I see that he still has the AIR tube hooked up to that Blackwing lid - but what does it attach to? The AIR system didn't connect to the air box on '98-'99 cars, so unless he's using a '00-'02 AIR system it must run to nothing.

Also, not sure what the owner means about a "set of service manuals on disc that were sent by GM to the owners of 1999 Camaros". I also bought a brand new Camaro Z28 in 1999, and GM never sent me any such manuals. Perhaps this came along with some of the GMPP/F1 items.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a GM designed kit with the front and rear lower facia extensions and the rocker panel extensions and the stickers....Was available through GM dealerships (GMPP) beginning in 1993 as stated above...Could be either dealer installed or by the car owner....Was NOT a factory RPO and not factory installed ..If I remember correctly it cost about 1400.00 dollars from GM... Then had to be painted to the correct color...Was also installed with double sided tape...No drilled holes..Lasted about 5 or so years before the parts started falling off...at least in my part of the country...Same kit was also available for the Firebird..Was called the Firebird GT...Had GT stickers instead of F1 stickers...Would not fit the Trans Am...(different front and rear facias)..Strictly a cosmetic kit.. No performance enhancement at all...
As far as the set of "Service Manuals on Disc" Anyone could buy one through the parts dept at any GM dealership....But they were and are extremely... Break it off in you type.. Expensive.....and did not come with any GM car...
As for the Special Order claim...
Only 1LE cars 1988 to 1999 were the truly Special Order cars..(Was the Only way to acquire one new) Even then was supposed (didn't always happen) to verify your racing credentials before they would order it.....

Last edited by two lane blacktop; 12-04-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by two lane blacktop
It is a GM designed kit with the front and rear lower facia extensions and the rocker panel extensions and the stickers....Was available through GM dealerships (GMPP) beginning in 1993 as stated above...Could be either dealer installed or by the car owner....Was NOT a factory RPO and not factory installed ..If I remember correctly it cost about 1400.00 dollars from GM... Then had to be painted to the correct color...Was also installed with double sided tape...No drilled holes..Lasted about 5 or so years before the parts started falling off...
On this example, the "body kit" is actually part of the Sport Appearance Package (RPO Y3F) and would have been factory installed (you can see this package listed on the factory window sticker in the ad). These specific body pieces were available from the factory on Z28 or V6 models under that RPO during the LS1 years - not specific to, nor exclusive content of, any dealer/owner installed GMPP "F1" package (not sure how this was handled on the early 4th gens though). However, Y3F was not available on SS/WU8 models (not sure if the SS hood was offered as a component of the GMPP "F1" content in this case, or if the owner just ordered this separately).

Originally Posted by two lane blacktop
As for the Special Order claim...
Only 1LE cars 1988 to 1999 were the truly Special Order cars..(Was the Only way to acquire one new) Even then was supposed (didn't always happen) to verify your racing credentials before they would order it.....
I just took the "special order" claim to mean that the owner ordered this car rather than buying dealer inventory off the lot. But I agree - there's nothing about this car, from the factory, which makes it truly special. Only the add-ons and modifications that were done by the dealer/owner make it particularly unique.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I got the CD Service Manual set off ebay years ago for only about $50. It's a six disc set which I still use regularly for answering questions here. It covers most GM models between 1997 and 2002. Unfortunately, it's old enough that is doesn't work with any version of Windows after XP so I have to run a virtual Windows XP machine to use it.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

I would check the install and paint quality and color match very carefully on a car with one of those kits

Rant follows...[soapbox/ on]

Some of the local dealers in the Gastonia /Charlotte area of North Carolina got very aggressive with these horrible kits on new 02 Camaro's. They would slap them on base model v6 cars, Z28's and SS cars left and right. Lot of the install work was sloppy with mismatched paint. Usually the white cars matched OK, the black would match but show blemishes a lot of the time but pewter color cars seemed to suffered the most with bad paint match.

I'm sure a few dealers did a quality install. Sonny Hancock Chevrolet in Gastonia NC definitely did some of the worse. I doubt their kits held up well for 5 years. Probably part of the business practices that led to them going out of business as a GM dealer in 2009 and eventually closing completely.

Some added + $1800 to $1900 for the appearance package.

One salesman got upset when I asked, "Why should we (wife & I) pay an extra $1,800 for an ugly, badly installed kit with mismatched pewter paint?"
[soapbox / off]

Wife ended up with a red 02 Z28 without that tacky body kit.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

^ As mentioned above, the body kit on the car linked by the OP was a factory option under RPO Y3F (SAP, Sport Appearance Package). Perhaps the dealer installed GMPP "F1" package used the same body kit but, in this case, it's Y3F content and is listed on the original window sticker (therefore factory installed, not dealer work). From the factory, this kit was not available on SS cars or cars in certain colors (the GM order form excluded one or two colors for RPO Y3F, but I don't remember off-hand what those colors were, I'd have to look it up).
Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That guy is a little light in the slippers.