Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Nate's 2002 Camaro SS Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Nate's 2002 Camaro SS Build

Hey everyone. I've been looking for a new toy to add to the garage for a while and ended up purchasing a 2002 Camaro SS. SLP#4733. I had a 96z when I was in high school and have always wanted to get into another. I tried to find the lowest mile, clean and tastefully modified car that I could find. Luckily for me, this car was local and I was able to scoop it up.

Here are the details on the car
11k miles, 241 CNC ported heads, 228/332 110+4 cam, FTP 98mm lid, SSRA, FAST 92mm TB, TSP 1 3/4, 3" TSP catback, 25% UD pulley , Eibach lowering springs, MGW short throw shifter, UMI lower control arms, 4.10

The car came with a binder full of documentation/receipts for the modifications done.

There are somethings that I want to address immediately. The roof has some bubbling. Wheels. Not a fan of the exhaust tips. Headlights, rework the wiring for the QTP cutouts, linelock and AEM windband.

Here are some pictures of the car!

The following 2 users liked this post by DJNASTYNATE:
brutalzo6 (04-30-2024), Threadzy (04-29-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Nice car! I love the wheels, those are my favorite. And nothing looks better than the stock head lights or the Whistler mod. I can't stand the aftermarket housings with halos and such, but to each his own.

The bubbling roof will require an entirely new roof panel to repair. Unfortunately, it's a pretty big job especially on a hardtop car. There's a huge sticky thread with details about the issue in the Paint & Body Work section if you need more information.

Nice Cobra too! I would have bought one of those back in '04 if they had come with an auto.
The following users liked this post:
JohnR (05-04-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 08:11 PM
Teching In

I'll have to research the whistler mod. I'm unfamiliar. I'm learning about this platform as I go. I've had a cobra for the last 15 years, I know those cars inside and out, however the fbody is going to be a learning curve.

I've looked into the hood panels, looks like a company makes a carbon fiber replacement that I may look into. I'm not a huge fan of the body match roof on my car. But we'll see. It wont be the first thing I do, but its on the list.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by DJNASTYNATE
I'll have to research the whistler mod. I'm unfamiliar. I'm learning about this platform as I go. I've had a cobra for the last 15 years, I know those cars inside and out, however the fbody is going to be a learning curve.

I've looked into the hood panels, looks like a company makes a carbon fiber replacement that I may look into. I'm not a huge fan of the body match roof on my car. But we'll see. It wont be the first thing I do, but its on the list.
The "whistler" headlight mod just involves painting a portion of the chrome/reflective housing black, so that the whole module looks darker/tinted like the stock headlights on your Cobra. It's the only headlight modification that looks nice on these cars, IMO. You can buy aftermarket housings that are already painted like this, but they don't fit as nicely as the stock assembly (they can be made to fit better with some modifications to the mounting location and/or bracket but, IMO, they still don't fit *quite* as well as stock).

As for the body match roof, a previous owner must have had that done custom to your car. GM used to offer a body match roof on the V8 models from 1995-'97, under RPO D82, but not during the LS1 years. The only two exceptions would be a B4C special service package (police) car, which would be a V8 model with a body colored V6 roof, or a 2002 Z4C 35th Anniversary package SS car, but those were all t-top (or convertible) cars and came with stripes, special wheels, two-tone interior, etc. Otherwise, every non-convertible LS1 SS or Z28 would have had a black roof from the factory.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 176 Likes on 127 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DJNASTYNATE
Hey everyone. I've been looking for a new toy to add to the garage for a while and ended up purchasing a 2002 Camaro SS. SLP#4733. I had a 96z when I was in high school and have always wanted to get into another. I tried to find the lowest mile, clean and tastefully modified car that I could find. Luckily for me, this car was local and I was able to scoop it up.
Jeez no cruise control? Hard pass on this one!

just kidding. Looks clean should be fun. Plenty of information and good people on this forum.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Jeez no cruise control? Hard pass on this one!

just kidding. Looks clean should be fun. Plenty of information and good people on this forum.
It has cruise control though?
Old 04-26-2024, 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by autogeek23
It has cruise control though?
I think he was likely referring to the missing traction control module. Probably just a typo.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Thank you! The whistler mod may be exactly what I'm looking for then. I don't like the clear reflective housing that is currently on the car. Something more blacked out would be nice. The car came with two extra sets of head lights, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Looks like maybe the original owner had the roof paint matched. It looks great other than the bubbles. I'll eventually get that taken care of. I'm going to knock out a bunch of routine maintenance items this weekend. I'll do the oil and filter for sure. The rear diff was recently done (there is a receipt in the binder from 2022) and I may do the transmission fluid just incase.

Penzoil Synchromesh the go to? I know the cobra community swears by it for the t56.

Quick Reply: Nate's 2002 Camaro SS Build