Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Own one plus a beater?
No way dude you don't know what youre getting into.
36.36%
Hell yes, bliss at its finest even if it isn't fast.
63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

This car is so beautiful but... would ya own one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This car is so beautiful but... would ya own one?

I am big into modern cars that take corners hard, stick the launch and go fast. You can find me thinking about anything from EVO's and Supras to M3's and Porsches. But to be honest, like that girl who steals your heart yet you know shes bad news I see one of these and just melt. I instantly say to myself, I want one... I need one, I am going to have one. I start thinking of what joy it must bring to someone to just stare at it, slowly get in it, start it up and just blaaaast down a late night highway. Right? Or are these cars just nice to look at, and once you own one, hop in it you wish you had modern things or does this car totally wash away all of the high performance superficial BS of todays car market? Because I do recon these cars are as slow as dog **** and suck fuel down like an alcoholic does it whiskey. How would you all feel about owning one of these guys and just a beater to drive in poor weather? Or would it last about a WEEK?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

You seem like an idiot, so no, dont get one.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badinfluenceRS
You seem like an idiot, so no, dont get one.
Anddd you seem ignorant, oh wait... you are.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

I own both, and you haven't the slightest clue what kind of money, time, and power you are getting into.

If you REALLY want the agony of owning one, get one. Otherwise, don't be another 'tard that buys one for the image of owning a first gen.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ReedBooth
I own both, and you haven't the slightest clue what kind of money, time, and power you are getting into.

If you REALLY want the agony of owning one, get one. Otherwise, don't be another 'tard that buys one for the image of owning a first gen.
It's not the image, I love these cars I just don't know if the lack of performance would eat at me.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Smile

This has got to be the most imbred forum on earth. They are what all good things are born from, it was the muscle car era. We needed them to get to were we are now. If you have the money by an old car and enjoy it. You will appreciate the new cars more but old muscle cars have a charm to them and you don't have to spend 4 grand on a rear end to hold power either maybe we can learn something from our past.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, that's a beautiful car in the original post.

For several years prior to buying my "new" 97 Z28 early last year, I really contemplated buying a first gen Camaro. I just love the look of the car and I could care less that it may not be as quick as many of today's family sedans. A lot of people don't understand that a "car" sometimes isn't about 1/4 times or even reliability, it's about the "car". The reason why I didn't get one was because decent ones are sky high now, plus I didn't know if I would have the time/money to spend putting a cheaper one back together, plus I thought at the time I wanted (needed) a "reliable" daily driver.

When I finally settled on getting a 97 Z28, it wasn't about how fast it was or that it wasn't as fast as a LS1, I just wanted a “torquey, pointy-nose Z28, just like I couldn't afford when they were brand new. Again, it was about the “car” I wanted.

Turns out I don't drive my Z28 nearly as much as I thought I would (I have a work car, the family sedan and a Cherokee for hauling and winter) and I've had a few second thoughts about maybe I should have just held on to my first gen idea. In actuality, I’ll probably just hold on to my Z28 for another ten years, and listen to people say, “I wish I got one of those when they were cheap.” LOL.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wtf makes you think it has a lack of performance? what are the specs of that car? or the car you are looking at buying. and yes i think that by your post you come off as a douche.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z2fast8
wtf makes you think it has a lack of performance? what are the specs of that car? or the car you are looking at buying. and yes i think that by your post you come off as a douche.
0-60mph in an SS 350 is 8.1 seconds... that's the lack of performance.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z2fast8
i think that by your post you come off as a douche.
+1

They can be built to handle and have just as much power as modern cars. Put in a built LS1 and knock down mid 20 mpg too. Or put in a nasty big block and just drive it on the weekends.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
0-60mph in an SS 350 is 8.1 seconds... that's the lack of performance.
You ever heard of adding some mods or doing a motor swap. That wasn't too bad when the car was new 40 years ago, which is prolly what those 0-60 times are from.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** will break.

Oh, and they don't have to have a lack of performance.. my 70 z28 w/a 454 isn't "Slow as dog ****".
Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

lack of performance isnt a "year" thing. its a CAR thing.... there are cars today that go 0-60 in 8.1 sec. and there are some that do it in 4 seconds... SAME CASE WITH THE OLDIES. 454 + elcamino= domination of modern f-bodies. I say dont worry about the year and stereotype, look at the car itself
Old 09-20-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Anddd you seem ignorant, oh wait... you are.
What a RANT...GEEZ.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, I wouldn't mind owning one from each Gen.

Gen 1 pick: 69 (any trim)
Gen 2 pick: 71 Split Bumper (trim irrelevant....would be touring setup)
Gen 3 pick: Later year IROC
Gen 4 pick: Already own it (one down, 3 to go)

Thing is, I buy cars that no one else wants for cheap (typically run down ones like the '98 Restomod proj. in my sig) and fix them they way I want them. Since I do my own work, it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Next year, I'm going to start a rat rod project in the spring and start looking for a gen 2 split bumper (actually for my wife, but we'll share it....of course).

Had a '79 Berlinetta that I did a Z28 front clip and rear swap with a 400 small. Was a fun car, but I just wasn't into the plastic bumper 2nd gens, so I sold it. Also had a '71 Malibu 350 that I turned into a SS clone. Now that one I wished I kept, but had a baby on the way and needed some green. Oh well, no regrets.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

i would love to own a '67 or '68 camaro. one day, i will.

my younger brother just sold his '68 RS a little over a month ago.
it was his first car, and his daily driver. he is 22, it was his
DD for 6 years.

vipor blue with 2 grey stripes. sick looking.
327 bored/stroked? to a 350, stall(not sure what size), dumped TD's
with flowmaster mufflers. God i love the way his car sounded, LOUD and
mean sounding.

if my daughter didnt still need a car seat i would trade/sell mine for one in
a heartbeat.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Buy a roller firstgen and LSX the **** out of it!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brandotron
Buy a roller firstgen and LSX the **** out of it!
Expensive unless the roller was completed and painted etc etc just w no motor or trans = unlikely.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Your gay if you think a first gen camaro is slow.. bring that dreaming crap here- porsh, bmw, whatever.... I think your a dreamer.. go to sleep!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigblock4-speed
Your gay if you think a first gen camaro is slow.. bring that dreaming crap here- porsh, bmw, whatever.... I think your a dreamer.. go to sleep!
Todays standards say a 1st gen Camaro is slow, depending on which one. If it isn't a 396 or better, it is... slow. And it's Porsche. And I'm gay because I also like some of the nicest cars ever made? Right.

Quick Reply: This car is so beautiful but... would ya own one?