Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

going to the strip for the first time with my 99

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to the strip for the first time with my 99

Okay, this is not a typical what will I run thread. This is gonna be a little more in depth.

OK, so for starters. My dad came back into life after about 10 years. And he did it with money to try to "make up" lost time. I dont know how or why. But he came back and said he wanted to go car shopping about 3 weeks ago.

Anywayz we got me a 99 Camaro Z-28 bone stock with ttops, with 92k miles. And he got a 95 Camaro Z-28 Convertible also bone stock with 91k miles. They are both Auto's.

Anywayz, He use to drag race before I was born so many years ago but still he ahs dome expierence. Me, I race light to light once in a while. So anywayz, were headed to the Drag strip this friday nite to Race heads up. I have ordered some parts but only my SLP lid has come, he has nothing. so I have a LID up on him. I want to win, obviously. Can my LS1 beat his LT1?

Any tips for a first timmer to the track? things I can try and get to make it go smoothly to get it down the track quicker? Please help I want to beat him at his own game.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

well good luck with everything. I had my biological father come in to my life and he wants the same thing from me. He's a BIG gearhead as well. But I just don't even call or even try to meet up with him. But anyways. As far as the car situation goes.... I'd first take some air out of the tires. Do your burnout after the burn-out box. (Where the water is) and then raise the rpm up till about 1,000 rpm on the foot brake and when the light goes to the last yellow and lights up- nail the gas. By the time the car jumps. Your off and on your way down the track.
As far as if you should beat him or not, the LS1 cars will 9 times out of 10 beat a LT1 car stock for stock. PERIOD! If not something is wrong. And you have the advantage by having a auto. If you had a LS1 & a Manual Trans. Then you might be in for a hell of a race. Just b/c a beginner will light the tires up BAD the first few times.

Good Luck man! Hope everything works out for you BTW!

James
Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

alright, thanks for the tips. so leave on the last yellow. From what I have read. This is a pro tree. so all the yellow lightes come on at 1 time....still the same idea?? leave on yellow not green?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

you should have him handled pretty easily.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thank guys. making me feel a little better about this trip to the track.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Well it rained friday so we didnt get to go. But My Flowmaster and Hpp3 did, so them and my SLP lid are installed for when we go do this. My Maf whould be here to before we get to race.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Send the MAF back and get your money back.. Its a waste of money and in some cases people have lost HP going with it. The stocker can support up around 550hp or so.. Put that money you get back towards a stall or headers...
Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

there are no gains from the SLP Maf??
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A search is your friend. But no the SLP MAF is a waste of money and later on it is a pain in the *** to tune with. Send it back and put the money towards some headers or a stall..

Quick Reply: going to the strip for the first time with my 99