Sealed Crate Engine Lsx Class - Page 2 - LS1TECH

Chevrolet Performance LSX Challenge Series & Shootout Chevrolet Performance Nationals Atlanta Dragway Commerce, GA June 3-5, 2016 Chevrolet Performance LSX Shootout Lucas Oil Raceway Park Indianapolis, IN June 23-26, 2016 NMCA World Street Finals Summit Motorsports Park Norwalk, OH August 25-28, 2016 Holley LS Fest Beech Bend Raceway Bowling Green, KY September 9-11, 2016

Sealed Crate Engine Lsx Class

Old 10-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
TECH Addict

What would you do about rear suspension? Would you allow solid rear axle conversions on IRS applications. The NHRA has legal specs. for Stock Eliminator for the GTO, Corvette, and Camaro.
GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
TECH Addict

I don't like the idea of the motor being sealed. The winner should have to pull one head and the pan for inspection. These things would need maintenance from time to time. No way that I would want to send mine out or be locked in to a specific vendor.

The whole idea of this class is to take engine tuning out of the equation. If you allow carbs, you open a huge can of worms.

I would bet that the crate motors from GM would be very close on HP.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
10 Second Club

Figured they would seal them like the circle track motors, once you tamper with the bolts the heads will twist off when they are reinstalled... Most places allow a buy back program for the crate engines.

As for Tuning, what's so terrible about tuning your own car? EFI or Carb. It's alot easier to Police that way.

If you do go set "Tune" like the NMRA CS stock I do agree that Carbs would be out of the question.
06X6spdGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
TECH Fanatic

Just looked at a problem with coyote stock right now, the c4 trans is falling way behind vs the manual trans cars in that class. Makes me wonder how the th350 would compare to a manual trans for this class.

I agree Gizmo don't want people having to send there engine out just to change springs or something. That would cost a fortune and would be lots of work. But for me i would rather not have people able to open up their engine and start changing stuff. I guess if we made it to where you could open engine up, you could make the punishment very severe if someone cheats. A several race ban, of course taking away there win, a fine to go back racing ect. Just a thought at this point.

I think the solid rear axle conversions would be good.
nmass399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmass399 View Post
Just looked at a problem with coyote stock right now, the c4 trans is falling way behind vs the manual trans cars in that class. Makes me wonder how the th350 would compare to a manual trans for this class.

I agree Gizmo don't want people having to send there engine out just to change springs or something. That would cost a fortune and would be lots of work. But for me i would rather not have people able to open up their engine and start changing stuff. I guess if we made it to where you could open engine up, you could make the punishment very severe if someone cheats. A several race ban, of course taking away there win, a fine to go back racing ect. Just a thought at this point.

I think the solid rear axle conversions would be good.
Coyote Motors don't make any torque to convert....

500+Hp LS376. I'd rather opt for a TH350 w/ Transbrake and 5500stall over the manual but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #26
TECH Fanatic

Well i just had a thought if you wanted to keep your motor sealed then you could and you would not have to worry about having it opened up for inspection but if you needed to open it up to change springs or timing set, lifter ect then you will need to be inspected.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06X6spdGTO View Post
Coyote Motors don't make any torque to convert....

500+Hp LS376. I'd rather opt for a TH350 w/ Transbrake and 5500stall over the manual but maybe I'm wrong.
they look to be .3 to .5 behind from the manual. Not sure if its on 60ft or such a drain in power. Their mph is pretty far behind so i assume its power drain from the trans.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
10 Second Club

Guess you could give a auto Trans Th350 car a 200lb weight brake. If its quicker in the beginning add some weight to them
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #29
TECH Senior Member

the point is its a stock engine, so you dont have to change springs ect. Just install it, add oil,coolant. and race the car.

No carbs. No intake options. NO TUNING allowed
studderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studderin View Post
the point is its a stock engine, so you dont have to change springs ect. Just install it, add oil,coolant. and race the car.
If you want to do well in this class there will be some engine maintenance required. I would want to at least check the heads and bottom end once a year.

Quote:
No carbs. No intake options. NO TUNING allowed
This is the only way to control the cost of this class. Allow the owners to tune their cars and you will see a major performance difference.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZMO View Post
If you want to do well in this class there will be some engine maintenance required. I would want to at least check the heads and bottom end once a year.

This is the only way to control the cost of this class. Allow the owners to tune their cars and you will see a major performance difference.
Where there's a will there's a way. Maybe some enlightenment from Kurt Urban or Tony Mamo would help keep the class inline.

Id be willing to bet almost 3 racers out of a 16 car field would be willing to go above and beyond to take a slight advantage.

Taking stock injectors and modifying flow patterns to get a desired AFR on different NMCA tune ups, to moving the MAF sensor (Up or Down stream) during test and tune runs in an attempt to gain more or hit a target AFR. Policing port intakes vs Non ported intakes would be difficult.

Ill probly never race the full series as Indy is the closest Track to me at 13hrs 1 way. But I'd like to see the class be competitive as a spectator and LS enthusiast. With the larger the field the better.

Making it more open and easier to get started in heads up racing with different intake options and ECMs would be part of the competition IMO.

Otherwise it just as else be BONE STOCK 5th Gen Camaro SS racing heads up off the lot.

It would be neat to see a Big 3 crate class final tho.. New Hemi v Coyote Stock v LSX 376

Last edited by 06X6spdGTO; 10-16-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
TECH Regular

I'm up for it. Still sounds like a lot of developing though. Cost is what makes my final decision. Going to have a harness and ecu that comes with the motor or how is that determined?
94 s dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #33
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 s dime View Post
I'm up for it. Still sounds like a lot of developing though. Cost is what makes my final decision. Going to have a harness and ecu that comes with the motor or how is that determined?
This is what i have been looking at https://sdparts.com/search/node/19259261

One is for the engine and the other is the controller, 2 oxygen sensors, pedal for the drive by wire, mass air sensor, engine harness.

1199.85 for the kit and 7589.80 for the engine. If done like ford which will probably need to be there will be different part numbers for the sealed engine and spec controller. The prices may change also. But basically that is a good round figure for the those items.

edit: the 480ls3 (hot cam) is 6899 and the 430ls3 is 6675 all prices are from scoggin dickey. Looked and the 525ls3 and 480ls3 both use ls6 valve springs.

Last edited by nmass399; 10-17-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy View Post
It would be nice if someone could let us know the probability of this happening for next season. My plan is at this point to finish gathering parts and put my car together for real street over the winter. This would be about the same money and easier to be competitive(which I would not be in real street).

I vote for this engine! https://sdparts.com/details/chevrole...mance/19301360
I contacted Steve Walcott via email and sent him the link to the thread. He is very interested. He sent the link to the thread to Dr. Jamie Meyer and several others in the Nmca to keep them in the loop. I am hoping we will get some more info on if this will start next season or when in the next month.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
TECH Fanatic

Gizmo and 94 s dime what are your names so i can add you to the list if you want. The more names on that list the better.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #36
LS1Tech Sponsor

Count me in 100%. Justin and I spoke quite a few times about this a few times over the weekend and I mentioned it to Jamie Meyer as well. Add my name to the list (Jeremy Jones). I think the hotter version of the LS3 would be perfect. The cars need to sound good. They need a lopey idle to get peoples attention. A bunch of smooth idling cars wouldnt really get many looks. And a 500hp 3200lb car with a nice setup will run solid mid to low 10s.

As said before, the engines MUST be sealed and fuel injected with a locked ECU to make this class work. If you allow anyone inside their engines you are going to get people messing with things. Even if it is just the valve covers you will have to deal with people adding lighter springs, bushed rockers, polished parts, lightweight pushrods, ect. People will always look for way to bend the rules and win. I was talking with the guys at Scoggin Dicky and they were interested in building the engines for this class. I think a yearly or bi-yearly service sending them back to Scoggin Dicky isn't out of line for a real class. Guys spend much more on piston rings more than once a year in some classes. This is designed to be a budget class, but no class is ever going to be cheap IMO.
Jeremy@RPMTransmissions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #37
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmass399 View Post
Gizmo and 94 s dime what are your names so i can add you to the list if you want. The more names on that list the better.
Daren Poole-Adams
Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #38
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I think the hotter version of the LS3 would be perfect. The cars need to sound good. They need a lopey idle to get peoples attention. A bunch of smooth idling cars wouldnt really get many looks. And a 500hp 3200lb car with a nice setup will run solid mid to low 10s.
Open exhaust would also make life easier.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
LS1Tech Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZMO View Post
Open exhaust would also make life easier.
Id be ok with open exhaust too. But I'd love for them to have a more aggressive cam than stock in them just to make it sound like a racecar.
Jeremy@RPMTransmissions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #40
TECH Fanatic

Open exhaust would be cheaper too, i would be running my torque tubes i guess(collector extensions). We will have to see tho Coyote Stock has to have some sort of muffler.

Thanks Jeremy and Daren.

Also i have no doubt the 525ls3 will go high 9's at 3300lbs, i hope everyone is ok with that. Not when its 4000da tho lol. Coyote stock has already been 10.3x's and has a high of 130mph. They will go faster than that.