Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen F-body.. what frame stands did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen F-body.. what frame stands did you use?

I have a '72 firebird that has had more swaps in it than tirechanges probably. It has had pontiac, SBC, and olds at least. From all this swapping by the PO, it has several sets of holes in the crossmember now, and no frame stands left. I bought a set of edelbrock plates to put in my LS1, but am at a loss as to which frame stands work with them.

I hope to use the F-body oil pan and factory location for my alt. on my '98 Trans-am Ls1
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

The Edelbrock plates should work with either the old style frame mounts, rubber isolator that is located in the mount that bolts to the plate or the clam shell mounts, rubber isolator is located in the frame stand mount. The clam shell mounts are definately better and are not prone to breaking like the old style (high HP). If you go with the clam shells then you'll need the mating shells that bolt to the plates. Both style can be bought from NPD, Classic Industries, etc....
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info, my car had the lower part of the clamshell mounts on it, but it looked like they had been moved. One corner was kind of hanging off the subframe. I'm looking at NPD and there are z28 or non Z-28 mounts what is the difference? height?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

From 1970 on all Z-28's were small blocks, only the SS's had the 396 option. Not sure what was offered from 67-69. For the 2nd gens the difference in the mounts is not that big. The big block mounts are lower/wider than the small block mounts, higher/narrower, not a big differnce 1/2" and 1/4". The clam shells are all the same and they do hang over the frame slightly, they made one mount for all their platforms. I think Classic Industries offers a bigger selection of mounts than NPD. They even offer Polyurethane inserts for the clam shells.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:34 AM
TECH Regular

Theres a TON of holes drilled in the subframe from the factory. You just need some SBC frame mounts, as I'm sure thats what Edelbrock based their design on.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen F-body.. what frame stands did you use?