Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have $5000 to play with for a swap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default I have $5000 to play with for a swap.

The LS1 is looking good if I find a smashed LS1 car in my area... which is really hard to come by.

Is there any other suggestions/options out there for V8 power and sound? The car in question is my 3.8 series II 1995 Camaro.

I brought this other issue up on a different forum... sounded to me like everyone was guessing at what to do. My car is OBD1.5, meaning it's not OBD1 or OBD2. It has the connector for a OBD2 vehicle... does any of this matter? Would the PCM from the swapped motor control all the accessories for my car? (lights, power, wiper) or would I have to somehow bridge two PCMs together? Would there be an issue if everything in my car is meant for OBD1.5?

Does anyone have any links or suggestions on books I could read that really goes in depth with a motor swap?

I seen an episode of horsepower TV where they pulled the motor and transmission out of the car by taking everything from the front wheels/tires down at once (if that makes sense?) If that's the case, wouldn't it be easiest to drop mine the same way then connect the LS1 pullout and accessories?

Willing to learn as much as I can, thanks Swap is taking place come late Spring, early summer if I stay with it.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 317 Likes on 240 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Here is a link to a thread that I made for the Swap I did with my car. In it is all kinds of info for Wiring and a T56 Conversion as well..

402 STROKER IN 1995 Z28
Old 11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. sell your car
2. buy ls1 car
problem solved
if youve never swapped in and have little knowledge of what it takes, it will become a tall order.
research as much as possible, standalone harness for the engine will be your best bet. along with autometer gages. go with stuff that is more plug and play oriented.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Epro
...My car is OBD1.5, meaning it's not OBD1 or OBD2.
Uhhh... Well, if it "has the connector for a OBD2 vehicle", then it will be OBD-II. There is no OBD-1.5 (or if there IS, it's a VERY well-kept secret!)

Originally Posted by NemeSS
1. sell your car
2. buy ls1 car
problem solved
if you've never swapped in and have little knowledge of what it takes, it will become a tall order.
research as much as possible, standalone harness for the engine will be your best bet. along with autometer gages. go with stuff that is more plug and play oriented.
(sorry NemeSS) Honestly, that's going to be your best bet - if you're looking at time, money, effort, etc. that is. If the car you have now is somehow REALLY sentimental to you, then it may be worth it TO YOU to spend the money/time/effort to do the swap, but believe us when we say that there will almost certainly be times that your "project" feels more like something that a judge sentenced you to do...

TRUST ME on this one...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditto on V8rumble..
Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

another +1.
if you're going to do it, make sure it's the journey that you enjoy, not just the end result.
it will take you ten times more time, money, and effort of even the best estimates
Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Uhhh... Well, if it "has the connector for a OBD2 vehicle", then it will be OBD-II. There is no OBD-1.5 (or if there IS, it's a VERY well-kept secret!)
My 1995 Model was a Factory OBDI, and had a Factory OBDII Connector..
Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Launching!

indeed there are obd1 cars with obd2 connectors, I've messed with several of them.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.. OK, that's news to me... Thanks guys.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by V8Rumble

(sorry NemeSS) Honestly, that's going to be your best bet - if you're looking at time, money, effort, etc. that is. If the car you have now is somehow REALLY sentimental to you, then it may be worth it TO YOU to spend the money/time/effort to do the swap, but believe us when we say that there will almost certainly be times that your "project" feels more like something that a judge sentenced you to do...

TRUST ME on this one...

I've been through a lot with this car, you have no idea how great it'd make me feel to have the power this car SHOULD have had, and the beautiful sound of a V8. Something that's impossible to imitate with a V6. I might settle for an LT1 though.... an LS1 would be more unique.

Am I replacing the PCM or am I bridging them?

Can I drop my engine at the front wheels and just pull the LS1 goods in from underneath? I know I need to switch to the corvette fuel rails. That's okay.

Any links or books that go REALLY in depth with the swap?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by the_merv
Here is a link to a thread that I made for the Swap I did with my car. In it is all kinds of info for Wiring and a T56 Conversion as well..

402 STROKER IN 1995 Z28
I think I should leave the wiring part of the swap to someone else
Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

I doubt I can modify my wiring harness for an LS1? Since my car is a non-LT1
Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

^^It's just the same really, the V6 and LT1 Car Wiring are damn near identical. You will need a LS1 Harness with an LS1 Engine.

Am I replacing the PCM or am I bridging them?

Can I drop my engine at the front wheels and just pull the LS1 goods in from underneath? I know I need to switch to the corvette fuel rails. That's okay.

Any links or books that go REALLY in depth with the swap?
You will need an LS1 PCM with an LS1 Engine. Basically if you are going to an LS1 or any LS Engine, everything you will be needing will be LS stuff, there is nothing that is directly interchangeable, except a 4L80E/TH350/TH400 with the correct Flexplate(may need a Spacer) & Stall.

Most people drop the Engine out from underneath with a Lift, however some have done it off the ground by jacking up the Body.

My Swap Link I posted has alot of good information in it.

Last edited by the_merv; 11-18-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...s1-5000-a.html

Look at this link..it'll get you thinking..
Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thatsa good price. I swapped a lt1 in my 95 camaro, it was what I expected. I bought a wrecked z28 and took the v6 parts out and put the v8 in haha. I changed gas tank to. Lt1 is the easiest way to go. It sounds that you really cant do this yourself and you need to make a friend in your area who could help you do this lol if possible.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

^^It's just the same really, the V6 and LT1 Car Wiring are damn near identical. You will need a LS1 Harness with an LS1 Engine.

You will need an LS1 PCM with an LS1 Engine. Basically if you are going to an LS1 or any LS Engine, everything you will be needing will be LS stuff, there is nothing that is directly interchangeable, except a 4L80E/TH350/TH400 with the correct Flexplate(may need a Spacer) & Stall.

Most people drop the Engine out from underneath with a Lift, however some have done it off the ground by jacking up the Body.

My Swap Link I posted has alot of good information in it.
So it's possible to physically get the motor in without even having a garage? Is setting up the LS1 wiring harness done before or after you put the new motor in?

Yes it did read it, thanks for posting that up

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...s1-5000-a.html

Look at this link..it'll get you thinking..
Don't feel like travelling down to the states when the CAD dollar is like 20 cents to the dollar.

Originally Posted by ROUDA
thatsa good price. I swapped a lt1 in my 95 camaro, it was what I expected. I bought a wrecked z28 and took the v6 parts out and put the v8 in haha. I changed gas tank to. Lt1 is the easiest way to go. It sounds that you really cant do this yourself and you need to make a friend in your area who could help you do this lol if possible.
Trust me, I'll be getting all the help I can get
Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

So it's possible to physically get the motor in without even having a garage? Is setting up the LS1 wiring harness done before or after you put the new motor in?
Yea, some people do the swaps in their driveways.

I built the Harness before I assembled the Engine. The Harness is the most important with this. There isn't any sense in building a $6000 Engine when you won't be able to use it if you can't get the Wiring straight.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Copied from my post on performancetrucks

LM7 Swap....

I tried searching and came up with nothing. One thread about someone swapping an LM7 into an IROC... About as far as I got!

The LS1 in my area isn't common at all, very hard to find a smashed LS1 car and the smashed LS1 cars go for at least a good $7-8k or so. I live in the east coast of Canada. A smashed Silverado is much easier to find than a smashed Camaro! Which is why I turn to the 5.3!

A few people on a local forum said the LM7 has interchangeable parts with the LS1. So I could just get an LS6 intake manifold or F.A.S.T or a stock manifold and get an fbody oil pan... and voila, LS1 equivalent!

What parts to use is the big question.... fbody ls1 kmember? LM7 PCM? LS1 mounts? I'd imagine a custom wiring harness would be needed... Corvette fuel rails as well. Might as well get headers while it's all out, LS1 long tubes?

I have $5000 to play with, want to get all the parts for it under 3 grand. Any info would be appreciated greatly!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 AM

I bought the LS1 and six speed for my 245 off Ebay motors. Came off the same car, 85,000 miles on them when the car wrecked. Got the engine, transmission, computer, wiring, and all the bits for $3150 shipped. Could have done better but the seller had great feedback and reprogrammed the ECU at no extra charge.

I find good stuff on Craigslist as well. Some of my better finds have been on aimless drives in the country.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need engine trans wireing harness pcm front accessories steering rack and pinion shaft k member

Quick Reply: I have $5000 to play with for a swap.