Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miata wiring harness for LS1 conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Miata wiring harness for LS1 conversion??

How are you conversion guys getting the LS1 harness to work on the Miata? Just gathering info right now but this summer I will be converting the wife's 92 Miata over to LS1/6 speed. Based on the reviews I've seen of the available kits, I will most likely go with the V8Roadsters kit.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will have more questions along the way
Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 80superbu
How are you conversion guys getting the LS1 harness to work on the Miata? Just gathering info right now but this summer I will be converting the wife's 92 Miata over to LS1/6 speed. Based on the reviews I've seen of the available kits, I will most likely go with the V8Roadsters kit.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will have more questions along the way
The same way you get an Ls1 to work in any car. The PCM doesnt get any input really from the chassis its in other than the signal for the VATS (vehicle anti theft syste) which you can tune out.

Its mainly just providing power to the right pins of the pcm at the right time and your golden, if you can read pinouts and wire an ignition switch.. your 90% of the way there.

If this is your first swap goodluck. If I had known what I know now I could have done my swap in 2.5 weeks instead of 2.5 years.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Exactly. Let the GM ECU take care of the engine, let the rest of the Miata's wiring take care of the rest of the Miata. The only time they do much crossover is when you wire up the instruments.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

shandelle@v8roadsters.com is very good at answering questions specific to their kit and in general to the conversion if you drop him an email.

Keith, who responded above works for a Miata specific shop that uses the v8roadsters kit to do Miata conversions so his answers are from direct experience.

I'm about %75 done my conversion and am working on the wiring right now.

Frank
Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool. I knew to let the LS1 harness do all the engine management stuff. Guess I was more concerned how to integrate the LS1 harness to the Miata
Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 80superbu
Cool. I knew to let the LS1 harness do all the engine management stuff. Guess I was more concerned how to integrate the LS1 harness to the Miata
There is no real integration other than making the factory gauges work with the ls1. The miata fuse block powers everything in the car.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

All you would really have to do is get it power and ground it in the required spots.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

That just sounds too easy. good enough. Guess we'll see what happens then.

Thanks guys
Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

its not too hard to mod it urself
Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Teching In

hey-

the wiring for this swap is VERY straight forward. i would recomend getting a factory mazda wiring diagram from the original shop manual as well as a gm wiring diagram from the EXACT donor car. one year off, and you might as well be using a ford diagram! i opened up the mazda harness and removed all of the wires from the mazda ecu to the mazda engine. this made the mazda harness into a body harness just like a gm. then you simply connect the powers and grounds from the gm engine harness into the mazda fuse box. you can use the gauge sending units from the mazda on the chevy engine to allow the mazda gauges to work correctly. if you get stuck you can contact me. my swap has been running for almost 4 years now. good luck.
karl

Quick Reply: Miata wiring harness for LS1 conversion??