Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Cheap build or do it right?? Readers decide!!
Cheap as f**k
58.57%
Done right
41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

So I have this datsun 610.....Readers decide fate!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OHHWWW!!! That is a hard hit! That would be brutal no matter what you are driving. The valve cover on the engine says Datsun and i believe there is no EGR. I will double check tonight. I am keeping 90% of the interior but I am changing the front seats and gauges. Also changing the heater box and controls. Also not using the radiator, fan shroud, auto trans, fuel tank, whole front suspension, steering box, rear diff, half shafts, I have a right rear control arm that is good. Both the ones out of the car are rusted at the spring pocket. Where are you located at? I'll give you a screamin deal on everything I take off! I hope your new ride is as nice as your old one. It looked very clean. Also, if I had found a 1980 toyota corolla I would have used that instead. That is the japanese car of choice for me! love the double round lights and square body.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by jfg455
OHHWWW!!! That is a hard hit! That would be brutal no matter what you are driving. The valve cover on the engine says Datsun and i believe there is no EGR. I will double check tonight. I am keeping 90% of the interior but I am changing the front seats and gauges. Also changing the heater box and controls. Also not using the radiator, fan shroud, auto trans, fuel tank, whole front suspension, steering box, rear diff, half shafts, I have a right rear control arm that is good. Both the ones out of the car are rusted at the spring pocket. Where are you located at? I'll give you a screamin deal on everything I take off! I hope your new ride is as nice as your old one. It looked very clean. Also, if I had found a 1980 toyota corolla I would have used that instead. That is the japanese car of choice for me! love the double round lights and square body.

1980 corola??? Let see what we can find for insperation...

http://www.buschurracing.com/racing-jerrytoyota.htm
http://www.dragtimes.com/1980-Toyota...ures-5964.html

I like the early celica's myself. Like my buddies, brown, white and primer 71 Celica thats 2JZGTE Powered.... I wanted to do the same thing so i bought that 77 out of a freinds Tow yard. But since I have a few extra Ls motors...
Attached Thumbnails So I have this datsun 610.....Readers decide fate!!-5964-1980-toyota-corolla.jpg   So I have this datsun 610.....Readers decide fate!!-racing-corolla1.jpg   So I have this datsun 610.....Readers decide fate!!-img_1804.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Teching In

im in california area code 95687 let me know man yeah it makes me sad the car was very clean the only thing it really needed was paint rust kills these cars unfortunatly nut there still sweet as hell i want to build the next one im getting road race style flares the whole 9 anyway pm me with what your offing and ill let you know what i want and we can work somthing out
Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick

I like the early celica's myself. Like my buddies, brown, white and primer 71 Celica thats 2JZGTE Powered.... I wanted to do the same thing so i bought that 77 out of a freinds Tow yard. But since I have a few extra Ls motors...
There ya go! I had about 5 corollas in my early years. a 77 (2)79's 81 84 and a 78 celica gt w/6 cyl in it. They were tough cars! I always wanted to stuff a V8 in one hence the datsun project. A friend in school had an 80 celica all done with coil overs and webers etc. Nice ride.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be Puertorican or Newyorican to own any of the cars you attached to this message.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Hey jfg455,
I left you a PM.

I am interested in your leftover Datsun driveline parts.

I found your thread searching for someone to weld up a Datsun racing head that dropped a valve. I have road raced a Datsun 510 for years.

I'm located in the Manchester, NH area.

Looks like a very cool project. Reminds me of the SBC powered 320 BMW that JA Metalworks of Candia, NH built up.

http://www.jametalworks.com/projects/automotive/bmw/
Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats funny! Jim at jametalworks just contacted me to tune his twin turbo 414 S-10 that is running mega squirt. I've seen his BMW at NE dragway before. I'll shoot you back a PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
You have to be Puertorican or Newyorican to own any of the cars you attached to this message.
LMFAO! now thats funny I don't care who you are! Only if they have purple tint and gold wheels on a yellow car!!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this turbo for the datsun? haha

I cant seem to ever keep my eyes open....damn cameras

We all know that Giffin is the real Gravy Master at work.

Fisting the turbo.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

There ya go! I had about 5 corollas in my early years. a 77 (2)79's 81 84 and a 78 celica gt w/6 cyl in it. They were tough cars! I always wanted to stuff a V8 in one hence the datsun project. A friend in school had an 80 celica all done with coil overs and webers etc. Nice ride.
Funny thing is the very next day while I was out to lunch what should happen to pull up on my right side but the much sought after 80 corolla you were talking about... I bet the "Low Income" individual driving would have sold it in a heart beat If you flashed some cash....
Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny thing is the very next day while I was out to lunch what should happen to pull up on my right side but the much sought after 80 corolla you were talking about... I bet the "Low Income" individual driving would have sold it in a heart beat If you flashed some cash....
Thats the problem with living on the east coast, all of these cars have long since rusted away! I was visiting my mom in AZ and the local hardware store owners daily driver was a 30 ford pick up!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Where are you gonna put all the hot/cold side stuff?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phat69
Where are you gonna put all the hot/cold side stuff?
That is an excellent question! And I have no idea yet as to where it is all going to fit. Maybe it will hang out of the hood who knows! But I do have the front sheet metal work all finished so I can now start on opening up the firewall area and tunnel so we can set the motor in.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is two old datsuns in my general neighbor hood... one is a B210 hatch back looking thingy and the other is a 4door wagon. I think its a 510. Both have A little rust but they both still run and I see them driven from time to time. two seprate owners by the way... I should see if I can get a picture driving by....
Old 02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I got the drivers side rust all repaired. Now I feel better about cutting out the tunnel and fire wall. Before I was afraid it would just fold in half!. I think we have plenty of room to start making the motor mount K member and suspension pick up points. Next step is to cut out and recess the firewall.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well dime dave came over yesterday and was nice enough to take the L18 off my hands for $100. That freed up some garage floor space and paid for all of the new rotors, bearings and such for the front brakes. Hope to have an LS motor sitting in there this week.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. I guess that these swaps are being done with every type of car available. I can understand the 350z swap, the RX7s & the 240/260 swaps, but the fact that there's any kind of following at all for this car is nothing less than totally surprising to me.

I hope it's worth it to you when it's done - if nothing else, I guess it should be good experience for ya at least...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Hmmm. I guess that these swaps are being done with every type of car available. I can understand the 350z swap, the RX7s & the 240/260 swaps, but the fact that there's any kind of following at all for this car is nothing less than totally surprising to me.

I hope it's worth it to you when it's done - if nothing else, I guess it should be good experience for ya at least...
In a sense you are right. it may not be worth anything to anyone else but myself but then again that is the point. you should build whatever makes you smile. If that entails buying an F body or corvette or a chevelle and bolting on all the parts that they can buy and calling it a hot rod then so be it if it makes you happy. I on the other hand have a sick mind, hate just having a "bolt on" car, and have a need to express my artistic drive in a medium of wierd V8 engne swaps, hand built choppers, and anything else that stimulates my ADD riddled mind. my likes are diferent, I'm not a main streamer, and could care less about the public opinion or what the sheep of society think of my work. If you like it then great. if you don't, then I'm sure there is another chevelle getting an LS1 swapped into it with a bolt on kit somewhere. Oh, wait, that is my next project! (my 70 chevelle w/6.0l)lol!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I've never seen anything quite like it. Although with that much rust, it's kinda like buying breast implants...

for your grandmother.

Good luck dude. You obviously have some mad skills.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Well, I've never seen anything quite like it. Although with that much rust, it's kinda like buying breast implants...

for your grandmother.

Good luck dude. You obviously have some mad skills.
Well.... she might be your grandmother but at least she has nice *****!....Now that was wrong even for me....

Quick Reply: So I have this datsun 610.....Readers decide fate!!