Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71impala
I'm looking into doing a swap in my 71 impala. I've been reading up and found this engine on ebay. Does this seem like a good deal? Thanks for the help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
I like it. A complete LS motor for $550 is definitely a good deal.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

imo this thread is sticky worthy
Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

haha, delete post ^^ wasnt paying attention.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Few things that are amusing, "I have done about 18" yeah, no big deal, i do like one every week! NOT! and I wish i had some junkyards around me with motors that size laying around in them! It's rice-burn city where im from!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Launching!

I was wondering if anybody has done a 5.3 swap into a v6 firebird. My friend is wanting to do a swap and switch from an a4 to a t56. How difficult would this be?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Mr. Mean Yellow Z, I have a 5.3 and want to use the low profile intake from a car. My question is what other mods will I have to do to make this work. i.e. change the water pump? thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Teching In

This is such an inspiring tread, My car was a 454 and I was thinking 283 6 speed. By the time I rebuild the 283 and add a 6 speed Ill have 4k in it. I have a 4l60e in my s10 that i could use. I heard the trouble with 65-70 fiull size is the stearing box manifold clearence. Any info? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Absolutely awesome thread! makes me want to switch careers! Thank god for people like this!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 AM

Good info MeanYellowZ. I want to do a LS swap in my 79 camaro and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on the best parts to go with and things like that. My first LS swap so I figured I would pop my cherry on the camaro and see how it goes.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Read line 4 of post #2......that will answer your questions.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen alot of ppl on here say they got a complete motor with accessories wiring harness and pedal, is the pedal needed for some reason or can you do without?

If I do this swap it would go in a 85 monte carlo ss, and I would do a 5.3 and convert it to a car intake/accessories. Ideally, getting the wiring harness with the motor is key, but if not, speartech a place that everyone says can take the stock harness or make a new one specifically for my application?

And woudl it be better to buy a 5.3 block that is lacking front accessories if I am going to convert to fbody ones, or should I get one with everything incase theres stuff I can still use?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the cool info
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 AM

I read through your write up, i have a few questions

Where could you get the adapter for the turbo 350 to mount?

And i wanted to be able to tune and check for codes, what do i need to do to wire this in? Do i need the cab wiring harness? Cab fuse block?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Default wow

That was a great write up with a lot of good info. You are like the LS1 swapping god.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

I just want to say THANKS for the great info. I am new to he LSx and this is perfect. I have the motor now I need the car...LOL....

Thanks again
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
I have seen alot of ppl on here say they got a complete motor with accessories wiring harness and pedal, is the pedal needed for some reason or can you do without?

If I do this swap it would go in a 85 monte carlo ss, and I would do a 5.3 and convert it to a car intake/accessories. Ideally, getting the wiring harness with the motor is key, but if not, speartech a place that everyone says can take the stock harness or make a new one specifically for my application?

And would it be better to buy a 5.3 block that is lacking front accessories if I am going to convert to fbody ones, or should I get one with everything incase theres stuff I can still use?
For anyone thinking about going this route, DON'T!!! Seriously, an LS1 is going to cost less than a decent 5.3/6.0, nobody wants to buy your truck take-off stuff, and the F-Body and Vette accessories are all different (so you buy brackets, now you need accessories too.) Then there's intake, rails, possibly injectors depending on what combo you end up with. You'll have more money into your 5.3 than a decent LS1 would have cost.

If you're planning on making this a "budget" swap (if you're reading the $1500 swap thread, this might be you), it's penny wise and pound foolish to start with a 5.3 unless you can use the truck stuff or switch over to a carb or something.

This is from experience. Don't make the mistakes I made. It's only working out for me because I'm going to use the $450 Mast swap pan to enable me to relocate the engine and use of ALL of the truck items but otherwise it seems like a savings up front and it's really not in the end. And if you throw that $450 onto the pricing in this thread (and the fact that some cars won't allow for this reconfiguration of mounting anyway) then it's not a budget swap anymore.

I think this is a great thread and I'm not bashing it but I think it motivates a lot of people who are DIY but not necessarily "fab shop" guys to get involved in something that may end up costing quite a bit more than $1500, or even $2500 - $4000. The OP is a seasoned professional with access to tools, cheap parts, and years of experience on his side - don't forget that.

just my $.02.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sikbrik
For anyone thinking about going this route, DON'T!!! Seriously, an LS1 is going to cost less than a decent 5.3/6.0, nobody wants to buy your truck take-off stuff, and the F-Body and Vette accessories are all different (so you buy brackets, now you need accessories too.) Then there's intake, rails, possibly injectors depending on what combo you end up with. You'll have more money into your 5.3 than a decent LS1 would have cost.

If you're planning on making this a "budget" swap (if you're reading the $1500 swap thread, this might be you), it's penny wise and pound foolish to start with a 5.3 unless you can use the truck stuff or switch over to a carb or something.

This is from experience. Don't make the mistakes I made. It's only working out for me because I'm going to use the $450 Mast swap pan to enable me to relocate the engine and use of ALL of the truck items but otherwise it seems like a savings up front and it's really not in the end. And if you throw that $450 onto the pricing in this thread (and the fact that some cars won't allow for this reconfiguration of mounting anyway) then it's not a budget swap anymore.

I think this is a great thread and I'm not bashing it but I think it motivates a lot of people who are DIY but not necessarily "fab shop" guys to get involved in something that may end up costing quite a bit more than $1500, or even $2500 - $4000. The OP is a seasoned professional with access to tools, cheap parts, and years of experience on his side - don't forget that.

just my $.02.
Seems like he has a point... anyone who has done this swap have anything to say?
Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nate_67RS
Seems like he has a point... anyone who has done this swap have anything to say?
sikbrik is absolutely correct. I bought a 5.3 from LKQ for $650 and with the intention of going carb so the manifold harness deal didn't bother me.

The engine is going into a 79 Camaro, the pan isn't just low but WAY to low, the manifolds don't clear and buying accessory stuff has be EXPENSIVE. I would have been better off going with a LS1 pull out for $2,000 with all my accessories and and F-body oil pan, and I'd then have a manifold and injectors worth a damn to resell, sell my harness, ecu and have a more powerful stock engine.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Absinthe
sikbrik is absolutely correct. I bought a 5.3 from LKQ for $650 and with the intention of going carb so the manifold harness deal didn't bother me.

The engine is going into a 79 Camaro, the pan isn't just low but WAY to low, the manifolds don't clear and buying accessory stuff has be EXPENSIVE. I would have been better off going with a LS1 pull out for $2,000 with all my accessories and and F-body oil pan, and I'd then have a manifold and injectors worth a damn to resell, sell my harness, ecu and have a more powerful stock engine.
if i plan on keeping everything but the oilpan on the engine it seems to me this is still a better deal for a start project. the car gets a solid motor and when i am ready later on down the line i can swap stuff out sure the end might be about the same but the startup cost will be cheaper and and would have a running engine that is stronger and can take the kind of power i want to add later on. either way i would be swaping heads to something like L92 home ported and polished and going to a larger intake and cam anyway. so why not start cheaper. and source parts as i go then spend a ton out of pocket and have to sell parts right away to cover costs?

unless there is a fundamental difference other than aluminum vs iron i fail to see how the is the wrong road to head down. sure the engine bay is ugly for a while but i have a nice engine that i can keep improving on slowly. over a couple of years but drive during that time instead of waiting. besides i want a 6.0 and an LS2/3 is more than my total budget for the engine swap and an ls1 would still set me back quite a bit
Old 05-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sikbrik

just my $.02.
Sikbrik, I agree 120% with your comments above. I call myself a research junky before jumping into any project and read this thread top to bottom several times before even spending my first dime. After finding used 5.3 for $500.00 and a T56 for $850, I thought I was ahead of the game. Then, reality hit when I started looking at the intake, fuel rails, throttle bottle, corvette water pump, corvette balancer, Mast oil pan, sensors, bolts and ect...I'm several thousand into this build now and still do not have a wiring harness, corvette accessories, nor fuel system yet.. Please do get misunderstand me here, I'm still committed to finishing this project and believe in the long run the LS motor swap will be the best option.. But, starting with an LS1 engine would have been a whole lot easier IMO!!!!!

Quick Reply: My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500